PDA

View Full Version : Monocoque Inserts

Andy
11-21-2004, 05:16 PM
What type of material are North American teams using for their tub inserts to handle loads such as those experienced at the inboard control arm points? I had planned to use a Tufnol insert, which I used where I worked this summer. However, I just found out that Tufnol is owned by a UK company and it's really hard to get it over here in the United States due to material/shipping costs and toxicity problems. Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jon Huddleston
11-22-2004, 10:37 PM
I spent a bit of time looking for inserts for our undertray and wings from aerospace fastener companies last fall. I found the best solution was to just make them yourself. A CNC would help, but I'm sure some aluminum or steel inserts could handle the loads and be made easily.

Charlie Murphy
11-23-2004, 12:50 AM
I agree...it's easier to make them yourself.
Here are some good ideas if you haven't seen these already:
http://www.hexcelcomposites.com/Markets/Products/Panels/Sandpanel_fab/Spft_p09.htm

Andy
11-23-2004, 05:22 AM
Thanks guys. I was actually planning on making them myself using a CNC, but it is mainly the material I am after. I would like to stay away from aluminum or steel in order to save weight and that's why I was looking into the Tufnol plastic inserts or something similar. Thanks for the info!

Andy

bus driver
11-25-2004, 08:15 PM
try looking at engineering plastics. we use mostly tufnol because we havent dont a lot of fatigue anaylsis on the plastic ones, but the good thing about plastic is that you can thread it. so you only need a bolt rather than nut and bolt. they are very light, non toxic and easy to machine.

try looking at

www.dotmar.com.au (http://www.dotmar.com.au)

they are an aussie company, but im sure you can find equivalent plastics in the states.

hope this helps.

joe totten
Chassis Team Leader
UWA Motorsport

The guru of guru's
11-27-2004, 05:03 PM
We have found that one of the best ways to make attachment points in foam or nomex is to drill a hole and hollow out the hole with a hook of some sort then inject a epoxy/microsphere filler into the hole. This gives very high compresive strength and allows you to put holes where you like.
Cheers