PDA

View Full Version : Front Kill switch

Erich Ohlde
10-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Anyone have a source on an inexpensive front kill switch (push-pull type)

Erich Ohlde
10-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Anyone have a source on an inexpensive front kill switch (push-pull type)

Biggy72
10-22-2006, 05:57 PM
I believe any pto switch off of a riding lawn mower would work. I don't have the parts resources like I used to, but I just did a quick search on google and found a few here

http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=a...&keywords=pto+switch (http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=a-8671&category=AYP_Parts&maxhits=20&keywords=pto+switch)

Erich Ohlde
10-23-2006, 11:15 AM
Sweet. The only other ones I was finding were like 30-60 bucks

Lexusteck
10-23-2006, 06:47 PM
Erich have you tried the aircraft salvage site in KCK. It has lots of interesting electrical stuff.
Steve Roberts

Mike Flitcraft
10-23-2006, 08:02 PM
generic parts store pull style head lamp switch should work fine.

drivetrainUW-Platt
10-26-2006, 05:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jayhawk_electrical:
Sweet. The only other ones I was finding were like 30-60 bucks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HUH?? your an electrical guy and you couldnt find a 2 dollar switch?????
dont over complicate things:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Heavy-Duty-Toggle-DPDT-On-On-Switch...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/Heavy-Duty-Toggle-DPDT-On-On-Switch-20A-125VAC-Car-Boat_W0QQitemZ140044630105QQihZ004QQcategoryZ14932 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Biggy72
10-26-2006, 10:50 AM
I believe for this year it has to be a push pull type switch, not a toggle. It even has a picture in the rules. It's on Page 45 of this year's rules.

Erich Ohlde
10-26-2006, 11:34 AM
Take that switch to competition as your front kill switch and see how long it takes to pass tech

Steve Yao
10-26-2006, 12:55 PM
Hope i am not shooting myself in the foot if these sell out, but this is probably what we will use:

$16
Automation Direct (http://web2.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Pushbuttons_-z-_Switches_-z-_Indicators/Eaton_Cutler-Hammer_22mm_(E22_Series)/Emergency_Stop_-z-_Mushroom_Pushbuttons_-a-_Stations/E22LLB2B)

James Waltman
10-26-2006, 03:20 PM
Steve, that switch seems awful industrial. Might be nice for some sort of machine tool.

I realize that those are the kind of switches that the rules show.
I might be looking for Snowmobile Kill Switches...

drivetrainUW-Platt
10-27-2006, 05:37 AM
In the past that switch hasnt given us any problems thru tech, I wans't aware of a rule change.

Poe
10-27-2006, 09:04 AM
see:
3.4.9.2 IP Master Switch Mandate Push-to-Off switch alongside the steering wheel.

Has anyone found a small switch of this type? All I've come across so far are big headlight type switches, which will be obnoxious on the dash of the car. I think it is ridiculous to require a huge safety switch on the dash. It especially upsets me that they picture a PTO switch from a lawnmower in the rules. WTF!? If someone can't figure out how to throw a toggle switch in the opposite direction in a panic situation, they should not be driving the car in the first place.

Bill Kunst
10-27-2006, 10:26 AM
What, does fsae need backup lights as well? I wish I knew the reasoning. Are there other divisions of racing hat require this? Or is this just to stir the pot for the teams that show up with the same wiring and dash setup year to year? Just a little curious.

Bill Kunst

Oh, has anyone thought of doing biometrics for the key on? That would be cool, like night rider. "Hello, Jon Smith, good luck with your race." As the engine starts up.

Chris Boyden
10-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the link SYao...

BeaverGuy
10-28-2006, 10:22 PM
The issue may be a safety related issue propogating from Mini-Baja. I believe that they have been required to have push pull type switches as both the back and front switch for a few years. And last year they even mandated the style and maybe even the exact switch that had to be used. I would even suggest looking at the switch that your baja teams use, as the one the Oregon State team uses is little bigger than a toggle switch and far from the size of the suggestions I've seen on here.

rjwoods77
10-28-2006, 10:37 PM
The switch in the mini baja rules is a push pull ski-doo.

http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/01-171.html?id=EfCUXvxw

James Waltman
10-29-2006, 01:37 AM
A snowmobile switch? That's genius!
I thought my hint above would be enough...
These kill switches don't have to be big industrial types.
The picture from Rob's link:
http://www.mfgsupply.com/img/snowmobile/elect/01-171.jpg

A push-to-kill switch makes a lot of sense. A toggle switch can work but the push-to-kill type is more certain. You just have to take a slap at it.
Don't all machine tools have the same system?
This is a simple safety rule that is completely reasonable.

Parker
10-29-2006, 07:32 AM
We have used these switches from mini-baja before. we use them for the front kill switch, as well as the brake over-travel switch. they work extremely well.

Poe
10-29-2006, 07:40 AM
Our Mini Baja team uses the ski doo switches too, and they seem to break all the time. From our team's experience, and at 20 bucks a piece, they are just not reliable enough to use. I'll keep searching...

James Waltman
10-30-2006, 11:36 AM
Unreliable? In what way?
Has anyone else heard of this type of switch being unreliable?

Maybe if it's mounted so that it breaks off when a baja car rolls over.
Or maybe the generic ones aren't very good.
There is nothing inherent in those switches that makes them unreliable. They are standard on millions of snowmobiles.

I've seen them break when a sled takes a big tumble down a mountain. Even then, they still perform their duty.

Poe
10-31-2006, 10:27 AM
I call them unreliable because they break. And, no, it's not because the baja car rolled over on it. In fact, right now, the driver kill switch is the one that is broken (won't turn on), while the one that is on the outside of the car works fine. It's not a cheap generic switch; it is the Polaris or skidoo switch or whatever is mandated by Baja rules. Sure they turn off, but what happens if it breaks when you need to restart the car after driver change in endurance? Not worth the chance to me.

drivetrainUW-Platt
11-01-2006, 01:31 PM
whats next, tether switches like snowmobiles and jetski's?

overdrive535
11-03-2006, 07:50 AM
You must be hitting the switch with a hammer to break it, because I flipped my sled (I'm from Minnesota) on ice seven years ago, cracked up the hood, the fuel gauge dome, and the kill switch button, and my head, but the switch itself still works to this day. Of course, it is from an Arctic Cat and not a Ski-Doo

Poe
11-04-2006, 08:48 AM
No hammers involved, I promise. They aren't so much breaking visibly, it's just that after a few big jumps they don't switch on anymore. I don't know all the details because I work on Formula, but I know that Baja complains about the switches a lot.