PDA

View Full Version : Information about ECU haltech

dio
10-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Hi!! Again.. So I help a friend that search information about ECU haltech because we have a exposicion of different ECU. He need information about what is the diferent between a ex6 y f10x and how is the mode of tuneo of each one!! he talk about ECU haltech.. if you can help .. please.. we try to intro a group of fsae and have evaluation whit this topic... http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif sorry again for my english..

dio
10-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Hi!! Again.. So I help a friend that search information about ECU haltech because we have a exposicion of different ECU. He need information about what is the diferent between a ex6 y f10x and how is the mode of tuneo of each one!! he talk about ECU haltech.. if you can help .. please.. we try to intro a group of fsae and have evaluation whit this topic... http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif sorry again for my english..

civicsit
10-18-2007, 09:32 PM
We use the Haltech E8 currently. We previously ran the E11v2, but found that the added expense didn't give us any options that we needed or used. The ECU's can be very nice and the software is easy to use and has a lot of features. The downside of the haltechs is that they come from Australia and are expensive, and are usually more than we need for FSAE cars (we don't need to run a V12 http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ). We are actually planning on switching ECUs on the next engine (megasquirt most likely) due to the cost and shipping time of the haltechs.

BeaverGuy
10-18-2007, 11:26 PM
The fundamental difference between the E6 and F10 is that the F10 only controlls fuel while the E6 controlls both fuel and spark. And if you really wanted to find this out you could look at the Haltech Website. (http://www.haltech.com)

Karl, Having been one of the two to select the E11v2 for the '05 car and then been involved in the decision to switch to the E8 I would say you are a little off base. The reason we ran the E11 was because it fit all our needs and was the cheapest option at ~$1800 available in the US. The other alternatives that met our needs in that price range were the Walbro, from Italy and DTA from England. At that time the E8 wasn't available so it wasn't considered. As far as being able to control a V12 yes it can, but those extra ouptuts can also be used to control a second set of injectors for a staged injection system or be used as outputs for other things. The E11 also has a variety of analog inputs and built in data logging. The data logging was a big factor in favor of the E11 because at the time we didn't have a data logger with any configurable inputs. While we didn't use all of these capabilities the fact that we could was a good thing. In '06 when the E8 was purchased it was initially planned that if the team got to the point where staged injection could be tested then the E11 was to be used on the '06 car and the E8 placed on the older car. Considering the fuel consumption issues in endurance, I would say you need to look at staged injection as it would help without deteriorating performance. You might want to look over the senior design reports and also the senior class design reviews from '05 as they cover the ECU selection process.

I don't know where you are trying to purchase the Haltech from or if you even have since '06 as the '06 is also the '07 car but it only took about a week to get the ECU. It was purchased from a company in California and the year before we purchased one from a dealer in Portland though it was used. I find it difficult to believe that the time it takes you to get a Megasquirt is going to be less not to mention building the board. Also, considering that the dyno is wired for an E11/E8 you will save about a week of time not having to wire up a new ECU. As far as price, the Haltech E11 and E8 are hard to beat feature wise at their price point.

civicsit
10-19-2007, 11:42 PM
First off, dio, sorry for highjacking your thread.

Josh-
Sorry, I was a off on the E8/E11 difference. Since I was not involved in the ECU selection, I don't know exactly what the difference is. The datalogging is nice, but I would expect that any GOOD ECU would be able to do that. Also, about the staged injection. I don't see any reason why we should ever run staged on the kawi. Yes, we had fuel consumption issues, but that was for many other reasons including rich map, horrible injector angle (spraying fuel on the port wall doesn't work too well), etc. And the E8 will do staged injection if we wanted to anyways.
By shipping time I mean support shipping time, like if you need to send in an ECU for repair. We had to send in our new haltech E8, and after about 2 months still haven't got it back. They said they were shipping us a new one 2 weeks ago. As for the price, megasquirt is much less, even buying a fully assembled board, which we would do.
I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but a lot of things can change in two years.