PDA

View Full Version : New Team for 2006!

Formula_Fairleigh
11-11-2004, 07:18 PM
My name is Sted and i'm the founder/president of Formula Fairleigh, a campus group at Fairleigh Dickinson University in New Jersey.

We'll be developing ideas and designs for competition in the 2006 SAE series. I've spent the greater part of the year pitching this idea to the faculty and student body and needless to say, its been exhausting. I'm finally at the point where i can start delegating responsiblty to group members when i ran into a problem with facilities, mainly with machines.

So far, the faculty's response has been positive and we have a mentor that has been extremely helpful throughout the entire process. I've gotten approval from the Student Government and verbal commitment from the administration to begin acquiring additional assests for the machine shop. Both administration and the Student Government have pledged funding for the group but, i still have yet to outline a major budget.

Now, how exactly do i propose the budget to the school and the administration(in the form of paper work etc.)? Any items you guys can't live without in your shop that you just acquired? What shouldn't i get?

We have a band saw, milling machine, some sort of old but still functional lathe to name a few, but its not complete.

Thanks for your help.

Formula_Fairleigh
11-11-2004, 07:18 PM
My name is Sted and i'm the founder/president of Formula Fairleigh, a campus group at Fairleigh Dickinson University in New Jersey.

We'll be developing ideas and designs for competition in the 2006 SAE series. I've spent the greater part of the year pitching this idea to the faculty and student body and needless to say, its been exhausting. I'm finally at the point where i can start delegating responsiblty to group members when i ran into a problem with facilities, mainly with machines.

So far, the faculty's response has been positive and we have a mentor that has been extremely helpful throughout the entire process. I've gotten approval from the Student Government and verbal commitment from the administration to begin acquiring additional assests for the machine shop. Both administration and the Student Government have pledged funding for the group but, i still have yet to outline a major budget.

Now, how exactly do i propose the budget to the school and the administration(in the form of paper work etc.)? Any items you guys can't live without in your shop that you just acquired? What shouldn't i get?

We have a band saw, milling machine, some sort of old but still functional lathe to name a few, but its not complete.

Thanks for your help.

Colin
11-11-2004, 11:45 PM
welder?

Chris Davin
11-12-2004, 06:54 AM
We are not allowed to keep machines (mills and lathes) in our team lab space. They are only available through a student machine shop run by the department and available for use only during shop hours. If you are able to negotiate having machines in your lab space, good for you!

We have in our shop: TIG welder, grinder, wire wheels, belt sander, drill press, three air lines and a set of pneumatic tools, and a few power tools. All of these are pretty much essential to our team, and they often don't feel like enough. We are trying to negotiate getting a vertical band saw but are meeting with resistance.

Formula_Fairleigh
11-12-2004, 08:45 AM
Chris, thanks for your response.

It seems we may run into the same problem as you, although i think its a modest statement considering your achievements.

Which tools are you looking to acquire for the future?

Sted

Lash
11-12-2004, 11:23 AM
We got most the tools Chris mentioned however mosst of them are owned by team members. Our school is an automotive school, but wouldn't even know it. WE aren't even allowed to use the lab without advisors being there. We get bossed around by advisors all day and can't even test our car without a big fuss and having advisors present!! Back to the tools. You should just bring some tools together with friends and friends parents or contacts. Maybe your buddy knows a welder or a machinist. We just tack our frame and then get it professionally TIG welded.