PDA

View Full Version : Front VS Rear--Tyre dimensions

bob69
04-16-2008, 10:42 PM
hey guys...i need some help.We have decided on the front\rear track for our car and our weight distribution(front:rear=60:40).We have designed a hub to fit a 13'' rim but we are not sure whether to use the same size tyre in the front and the rear.If anybody has any suggestion it would be of great help.Thanks
Mohit Bafna
Dept of Mehanical Engineering
PES Institute of Technology

bob69
04-16-2008, 10:42 PM
hey guys...i need some help.We have decided on the front\rear track for our car and our weight distribution(front:rear=60:40).We have designed a hub to fit a 13'' rim but we are not sure whether to use the same size tyre in the front and the rear.If anybody has any suggestion it would be of great help.Thanks
Mohit Bafna
Dept of Mehanical Engineering
PES Institute of Technology

TMichaels
04-16-2008, 11:04 PM
Hi,
just check it out by testing it on the car.

Regards,

Tobi

Michael Palaszynski
04-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Tobi, I have a feeling they might not have a car to test with.

Has your team invested in the TTC data? If not, I'd highly suggest it! It helps by having a rough idea of what the tire's going to be doing with the loads you're looking at.

js10coastr
04-30-2008, 01:57 PM
60/40 WD?

Pyrolemming
04-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Besides just the performance issues, make sure you take into account the logistics- especially if your school is on a tight budget. Different size tires makes having spares on hand a little more expensive.

BillCobb
04-30-2008, 06:09 PM
All I would advise is with that weight distribution or even its inverse, you'd better consider a split tire scenario. The tire data may surprise you, even if your weight distribution was 50/50. Remember that it includes pressure and wheel rim width performance traits. Since the autocross is likely the benefactor of this analysis (correct me if I'm wrong), the best grip on both axles and the controlability at turn-in should be the focus of the tire optimisation function. You don't need 20 degree slip data to make this decision. Its all there...