PDA

View Full Version : turbocharger

major_ashwa
02-08-2005, 12:03 AM
can we fit a turbocharger to carburettor type yam r6 engine?if so anyone who would like to share theair ideas plz let me know.

drivetrainUW-Platt
02-08-2005, 09:56 AM
yes and no, more on the no side, ditch the carbs and go EFI!!!!

nathan s
02-08-2005, 10:06 AM
Unless you really know carb tuning, I would stick with efi. As far as I know, a turbo would mount the same as on efi. The only difference is your tuning setup.

Dan Deussen @ Weber Motor
02-08-2005, 10:20 AM
First of all I would not recommend ANY 1st year team to run a turbo. Just getting an engine to run right with the restrictor will be big enough of a challenge for most teams.

I have to second the motion of running EFI. A carb will have to be mounted before the restrictor and you will essetially run a "wet" manifold which is really bad under transient conditions in which all FSAE cars are in 90 percent of the time.

Then if you wanted to run a turbo, you will still need to run the throttle before the turbo and the restrictor so now you have a "wet" manifold draw-through setup which is far less from optimal for FSAE applications.

I would suggest you first retrofit your engine with EFI and compete with it naturally aspirated. Once you have worked out all the bugs on that engine you can reconsider going to a turbo for next year.

GTmule
02-08-2005, 10:23 AM
Normally it'd go: compressor => Pressureized box(es) with carb(s) => engine.

But that's illegal in SAE, so you'd either have to put the carb upstream of the compressor (NO!!!) or take the throttle plate out of the carb(s) and put a throttle body upstream of all that. It'd be WAY more trouble than it was worth. Do EFI, no question about it, if you must have a turbo.

nathan s
02-08-2005, 10:33 AM
Those are good points. I am wrong. I need to go back and read the rules again http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.