PDA

View Full Version : shallow sump conversion CBR6004I

jimbo
11-01-2004, 02:17 PM
Hey all,

Was just wondering if anyone has made a shallow sump for their car to help with lowering the C.of.g etc. Have done loads of modelling etc in solid works on different designs. Main problem is about making up for the effective loss in volume of the sump.

Is it totally vital that this volume is made up elsewhere in the sump - i.e - making it wider etc, or can it simply be made shallower and push the oil further up in the sump???

I thought that it was vcital to make up for the loss in volume, but a second opinion , or advice on what you've done would be awesome. Its for a CBR 4I.

Aiming to reduce approx depth by about 15-20mm. Not much, but as we will be making a brand new sump with incorporated baffle, makes sense to make it slightly shallower?

Cheers people,

Jim

jimbo
11-01-2004, 02:17 PM
Hey all,

Was just wondering if anyone has made a shallow sump for their car to help with lowering the C.of.g etc. Have done loads of modelling etc in solid works on different designs. Main problem is about making up for the effective loss in volume of the sump.

Is it totally vital that this volume is made up elsewhere in the sump - i.e - making it wider etc, or can it simply be made shallower and push the oil further up in the sump???

I thought that it was vcital to make up for the loss in volume, but a second opinion , or advice on what you've done would be awesome. Its for a CBR 4I.

Aiming to reduce approx depth by about 15-20mm. Not much, but as we will be making a brand new sump with incorporated baffle, makes sense to make it slightly shallower?

Cheers people,

Jim

Justin Hodge
11-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Eliminate the sump completely and add a dry sump. You will lower your C of G a lot more than 15 or 20mm. It is a fairly simple design and you can drive it off of the existing water pump housing or use a mechanical gear off of the crank.