PDA

View Full Version : intake/exhaust

Electro
06-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Greetings:
Looking to get a sense of others designs for intake and exhaust.

For those with fixed lengths:
What kind of spread of resonance from intake to exhaust did you have (500 RPMs, 1000RPMs, etc). Those who matched intake and exhaust, how well did it end up doing? What kind of spread of torque curve did you have with overlapping resonances?

For those with variable runner lengths:
Variable intake:
Did you bound your intake runner resonances around that of the exhaust? Did you overlay one, with the other above or below?
Variable exhuast:
How in the bloody hell did you do it if you did it?, and similar but the converse to the previous question.

Thanks guys,
Electro

Electro
06-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Greetings:
Looking to get a sense of others designs for intake and exhaust.

For those with fixed lengths:
What kind of spread of resonance from intake to exhaust did you have (500 RPMs, 1000RPMs, etc). Those who matched intake and exhaust, how well did it end up doing? What kind of spread of torque curve did you have with overlapping resonances?

For those with variable runner lengths:
Variable intake:
Did you bound your intake runner resonances around that of the exhaust? Did you overlay one, with the other above or below?
Variable exhuast:
How in the bloody hell did you do it if you did it?, and similar but the converse to the previous question.

Thanks guys,
Electro

Eshu
06-13-2006, 09:25 AM
I'm sure you're just looking to save time and avoid dead-ends but I challenge you to go off and find the answers to these questions yourself. You'll learn more that way. I like to to say "First hand experience is more valuable than three big piles of second-hand knowledge." I don't say it often... Okay, I just thought it up right now, but I really believe it to be true.

Go forth - test, model, simulate

Out

Electro
06-13-2006, 11:58 AM
just gettin a feeling for others methods.... whole idea of the forum I thought...

here's a quote for ya
"I'm not the smartest guy out there and I work best gathering ideas from other people, modifying them, combining them and researching all at the same time to make sense of it all" ok so it's a crappy quote but it works...

thanks guys

Eshu
06-13-2006, 02:57 PM
If it works for you, great. I would be concerned that if I didn't have a solid understanding of what the answer should be in advance, I would not be able to spot a line of BS when thrown my way. I would also be worried that that any results given have a great deal to do with the execution (i.e. crappy excution can make good concepts look bad).

If you are starting out on your design I think it would be smarter to ask HOW teams approached their intake/exhaust design rather than for specifics on results. There are just too many variables here to draw a meaningful conculsion from a few data points. Anyway, It's a free opinion and worth exactly that.

Last, a thought on variable exhaust - EXUP

Out

Bill Kunst
06-13-2006, 04:30 PM
My resluts always thought my execution was excellent...but at some point you want to resist multi-generational resluts as you may not know why you are standing there with them in your hands and whether they are any good anymore.

Eshu
06-13-2006, 06:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Kunst:
My resluts always thought my execution was excellent...but at some point you want to resist multi-generational resluts as you may not know why you are standing there with them in your hands and whether they are any good anymore. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've got a good eye for resluts there, Bill. But I don't want to hear more about your execution...

Bill Kunst
06-13-2006, 08:12 PM
Sorry, eshu, but I couldn't resist. But the advice is good. Make sure you know why, as this is the most important when it comes to design judging. There probably more points in doing something wrong, and knowing why it is and the reasons for doing it, than doing something right by dumb luck and having absolutely no clue at all.