PDA

View Full Version : Balancing trigger wheel

r3brusse
07-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Hello all-

We're switching over from a tec3 to a Performance Electronics ECU system in our GSX-R 600cc. The old ECU required an external trigger wheel (larger amount of teeth) while the PE system can use Suzuki's internal CPS sensor (with their wheel attached). I'm sure this isn't news to any of the engine guys here. My question is, after grinding down Suzuki's wheel and welding PE's wheel to the base, how critical is it to balance the new CPS assembly. There aren't any forces acting on the wheel but at 11,000rpm the slightest offset mass could wreak havok. This came as an after thought and we just don't want to blow it up somewhere down the road. I figured some of you guys have had experience with this so any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
R. Brusselmans
Western Michigan Univ.

r3brusse
07-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Hello all-

We're switching over from a tec3 to a Performance Electronics ECU system in our GSX-R 600cc. The old ECU required an external trigger wheel (larger amount of teeth) while the PE system can use Suzuki's internal CPS sensor (with their wheel attached). I'm sure this isn't news to any of the engine guys here. My question is, after grinding down Suzuki's wheel and welding PE's wheel to the base, how critical is it to balance the new CPS assembly. There aren't any forces acting on the wheel but at 11,000rpm the slightest offset mass could wreak havok. This came as an after thought and we just don't want to blow it up somewhere down the road. I figured some of you guys have had experience with this so any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
R. Brusselmans
Western Michigan Univ.

Jersey Tom
07-03-2007, 06:03 PM
We run the F4i, stock cam pulse wheel has 3 teeth. We ground it down to one, went with it, no problems.

Kirk Feldkamp
07-03-2007, 06:35 PM
My opinion is it's completely unnecessary to rebalance the thing... but you should make sure that you have a consistent distance between the sensor and all the teeth as they pass by. If the wheel is truly centered on the crank axis, and the runout of the trigger wheel is basically zero, then you wont have any problems at all.

-Kirk