PDA

View Full Version : Cam sensor design

osubeaver
11-02-2004, 12:44 PM
We are switching to sequential injection on our 2000 Kawasaki ZX-6R motor this year using a Haltech E11V2 ECU and I would like to know if anyone here has had any experience putting a cam sensor on a motor that does not have one stock. It seems like it shouldn't be too hard, as the cam gear already has a hole in it that could be read by a hall effect sensor.

osubeaver
11-02-2004, 12:44 PM
We are switching to sequential injection on our 2000 Kawasaki ZX-6R motor this year using a Haltech E11V2 ECU and I would like to know if anyone here has had any experience putting a cam sensor on a motor that does not have one stock. It seems like it shouldn't be too hard, as the cam gear already has a hole in it that could be read by a hall effect sensor.

Dan Deussen @ Weber Motor
11-02-2004, 02:41 PM
Cam lobes can easily be picked up by a hall effect sensor. Look at www.cherrycorp.com (http://www.cherrycorp.com) for the MP100701 sensor (they will even send you free samples).

I just drilled a horizontal hole in the valve cover inline with one of the lobes and at centerline height of the camshaft, installed the sensor with the supplied nuts and sealed it with some permatex after adjusting it to the correct depth. Done. Most reliable cam sensor our engine ever had. This was on a 97 Suzuki GSX-R.

The guru of guru's
11-02-2004, 08:26 PM
Dan
Is it possible to drill a hole throgh a rocker cover and mount a cam sensor above the nut on the rocker? So when it lifts it can sense or does the hall effect sensor need something to sweep past it?
Thanks.
Dave

Frank
11-02-2004, 08:35 PM
the head of a bolt or cap screw works as well

we have a cam with 2 bolts on the front face

we change one bolt to stainless to make it "invisible" to the sensor (so it only reads the steel bolt)

frank

osubeaver
11-02-2004, 09:06 PM
Thanks Dan. I will request one of those as a sample.

11-03-2004, 09:04 AM
Ghost-

If you have an engine with rockers then I don't see why your idea wouldn't work. It's definitive worth trying, if it is easy to implement.

osubeaver
11-11-2004, 02:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dan Deussen @ Walbro Engine Management:
Cam lobes can easily be picked up by a hall effect sensor. Look at http://www.cherrycorp.com for the MP100701 sensor (they will even send you free samples).

I just drilled a horizontal hole in the valve cover inline with one of the lobes and at centerline height of the camshaft, installed the sensor with the supplied nuts and sealed it with some permatex after adjusting it to the correct depth. Done. Most reliable cam sensor our engine ever had. This was on a 97 Suzuki GSX-R. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dan,
I got one of those MP100701 sensors from cherry and I went to test it with an oscilloscope and I was only able to get a signal when I put the sensor near the south pole of a magnet. I set it up with a 1.5K Ohm Pull-up resistor and powered the sensor with 12V and 3mA. I see the sensor is listed as a magnetic proximety sensor. Is this the same as a hall effect sensor? Do I need to set the MP100701 up in a special way so it will work with the lobes on the camshaft?

11-11-2004, 03:36 PM
osubeaver,

It looks like I gave you wrong information. The sensor I used was actually the GS100701. The MP is a magnetic proximity sensor and the GS is a a hall effect. I am sorry, I got the two mixed up. Try Cherry again. They will probably send you those as samples as well. If not, let me know and I will send you one of mine.

Again, sorry about the mixup!!!

osubeaver
11-12-2004, 01:14 AM
Dan,
I will try cherry for a sample of one of those GS sensors. I'll let you know how it goes. I thought something was up when I saw that it was called "magnetic proximety sensor", but I should have thought about it more i suppose. Anyway, thanks for the info.