PDA

View Full Version : aerodynamic shape

A
04-05-2012, 10:30 AM
how to start designing aerodynamic shape of the car????

A
04-05-2012, 10:30 AM
how to start designing aerodynamic shape of the car????

Drew Price
04-05-2012, 10:43 AM
http://www.meikitchens.com/images/showroom/classic-cognac-kitchen.jpg

acedeuce802
04-05-2012, 11:45 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_l3myorSZGv4/SYvg68QRZ_I/AAAAAAAAB8s/axz5tnJ9juc/s400/future-car-1.jpg

JulianH
04-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Are you trying to design a car that achieves a significant amount of Downforce or "just" a low drag shape?

A
04-06-2012, 12:15 AM
my priority is to have a significant amount of downforce...but at the same time dont want much drag..i hav read enough ...but dont know how to start

JulianH
04-06-2012, 02:23 AM
If you want downforce without a lot of drag, I would start with a simple undertray design.

Look at the books and papers you read about undertrays and diffusers.

Start simple. Look at the constraints of your car, look at the rules, look at other designs, and then just go for it. Try to make adjustments in your design simple.

Simulate the results using CFD (use a simplified half-car to decrease calculation-time), iterate your design. You will soon get a feeling, what will improve your downforce and what won't.

Of course there are other possibilities to create downforce without a lot of drag, but I don't know if this is a good way to start.

(Z will talk about his brown go-kart I guess http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

Do laptime simulation with different Lift-Coefficients and Drag-Coeffiicients to find out, which package works best.

Maybe even some huge-ass wings will improve overall scoring... They give you some more downforce but also induce drag..

Iteration is the best way in my opinion

A
04-06-2012, 03:03 AM
heyyy thank u very much...

Peter7307
04-06-2012, 08:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JD944:
Start simple. Look at the constraints of your car, look at the rules, look at other designs, and then just go for it. Try to make adjustments in your design simple.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent advice above.

I would add look also at the limitations of your builders.

Great CFD numbers and awesome 3D CAD images are not worth anything if you cannot get the actual car constructed.

Keep it simple and get it working first.
Get fancy later.

Peter.

shark.ashwa
04-06-2012, 11:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peter7307:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JD944:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent advice above.

I would add look also at the limitations of your builders.

Great CFD numbers and awesome 3D CAD images are not worth anything if you cannot get the actual car constructed.

Keep it simple and get it working first.
Get fancy later.

Peter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1 to Peter's post!

Sharath