PDA

View Full Version : Type 2 Torsen TBR Adjustment

Flash
11-01-2004, 08:49 PM
We are running a type 2 torsen diff (sourced from a Mazda MX-5/Miata) in our first car this year, to compete in Australia in December. We are looking to increase the TBR by the recommended method of shimming the element gears. We are just setting it up at the moment, and have started with a 0.16mm shim in each side, for a total shim thickness of 0.32mm.

In anyone elses experience (or opinion), is this too much or too little? Does anyone have any data they would be willing to share on shim thickness vs tbr adjustment?

Cheers,

Matt

Flash
11-01-2004, 08:49 PM
We are running a type 2 torsen diff (sourced from a Mazda MX-5/Miata) in our first car this year, to compete in Australia in December. We are looking to increase the TBR by the recommended method of shimming the element gears. We are just setting it up at the moment, and have started with a 0.16mm shim in each side, for a total shim thickness of 0.32mm.

In anyone elses experience (or opinion), is this too much or too little? Does anyone have any data they would be willing to share on shim thickness vs tbr adjustment?

Cheers,

Matt

Draksia
11-02-2004, 05:29 PM
Assuming the type 2 works much the same way the type 1. Then running a thinker fluid will increase the TBR. I would generally says it is easier to adjust then shims and probably a little more reliable. Try something thicker then 75w-90 and it should increase the TBR.

Flash
11-03-2004, 11:01 PM
I can now say from experience that .32mm shims produces something closely resembling a locked diff. We have readjusted with .12mm shims and it seems to have struck about the point we were after.

Cheers for the oil idea, hadn't thought about that one. However we are running a 80w-90 oil already, so maybe toward the upper end of that tuning.

Matt

Matador Motorsports
11-04-2004, 01:41 PM
I'm having a problem selecting the TBR for our differential. How do you guys select your TBR? How do you determine what value is ppropriate? I know the TBR is limited to the gear ratios, but if I could have any ratio how would i pick it? Appreciate the help.

CSUN #141