PDA

View Full Version : Torsen diff parts

Cement Legs
08-22-2005, 05:36 PM
Has anyone looked into which part actually rotates the torsen differential inside the transmission of an Audi quatro. We are in the process of designing our differential carrier and would like to source out the splines to connect the drive sprocket to the differential rather than sending out stock to have it machined. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Cement Legs
08-22-2005, 05:36 PM
Has anyone looked into which part actually rotates the torsen differential inside the transmission of an Audi quatro. We are in the process of designing our differential carrier and would like to source out the splines to connect the drive sprocket to the differential rather than sending out stock to have it machined. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Bowtie Man
08-22-2005, 07:17 PM
I designed a plate that grips the outside of the casing on the side oposite the large spline. It's basically press fit on with 3 bolts for safety. The sprocket attaches directly to this piece. Email me if you'd like some pics or CAD models of it.

Luc

Akos
08-23-2005, 01:55 PM
The centre diff is driven directly by the output shaft of the transmission. Another shaft runs inside this to the front diff.

I don't think its a piece you want to mess with. Its pretty intricate, machined to take gears and bearings. Its not something easy to couple as sprocket to.

Cement Legs
08-24-2005, 05:22 AM
Hey Akos, I think I already know the answer to this question but I'll ask anyway. Do you have a picture of what that part looks like? Or perhaps and part number?

Akos
08-24-2005, 07:45 AM
Can't help you there. It looks like a standard transmission countershaft except its hollow and with the large torsen spline on the end.

Best bet is a salvage yard if you want to see it.