PDA

View Full Version : 04 honda cbr

clee337
05-15-2010, 09:14 PM
i have a cbr that has been wrecked and i am trying ti crank. Dash is completely gone. bank angle sensor is gone. this is what i have noticed...

1. turn key on and fuel pump does not prime.
2. motor turns over with kickstand up or down.
3. checked for fire at plug -- none

main problem is no fire and no fuel. I have 12v at ignition coil. but i do not have a peak voltage meter. i have checked everything the manual says to check... one thing i have notice about fuel issue is that i took a test light and was checking power to fuel cut relay and when i touched test light(connected to frame) to br/bl fuel pump came on...this wire traces back to #6 on the ecm. i believe there lies a problem with ecm but not sure.... help me please

clee337
05-15-2010, 09:14 PM
i have a cbr that has been wrecked and i am trying ti crank. Dash is completely gone. bank angle sensor is gone. this is what i have noticed...

1. turn key on and fuel pump does not prime.
2. motor turns over with kickstand up or down.
3. checked for fire at plug -- none

main problem is no fire and no fuel. I have 12v at ignition coil. but i do not have a peak voltage meter. i have checked everything the manual says to check... one thing i have notice about fuel issue is that i took a test light and was checking power to fuel cut relay and when i touched test light(connected to frame) to br/bl fuel pump came on...this wire traces back to #6 on the ecm. i believe there lies a problem with ecm but not sure.... help me please

clee337
05-15-2010, 09:17 PM
i also bypassed bank angle sensor. by connecting r/w to g

Kirk Feldkamp
05-16-2010, 12:21 PM
For these stock systems, IIRC, the ignition usually doesn't operate unless everything else is kosher first. Don't forget the ECU switches the coil ground, so +12V at the coils is nothing special. The usual way to tell if everything is kosher is to listen for the fuel pump priming. No priming in this case probably indicates that you haven't "tricked" the ECU sufficiently. Way back in the day, we were having a hell of a time getting the engine to light the first time, and it turned out that somebody had flipped the tip over sensor in its little rubber mount. It *looked* like it was right side up, but it was actually the wrong way. Also, don't make the assumption that just connecting the two wires is going to bypass the thing... sometimes the manufacturers play tricks to make sure people don't do just that. Use the manual to determine if the item is bad before you just remove it from the system.

Usually I'd say get the codes from the dash and go from there, but since you can't, you may be stuck going through the entire troubleshooting section and checking everything per the manual. Getting a replacement dash is probably the easier route.

Brian Barnhill
05-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Did you do the "zener diode" mod to the security wire? You need to see 9 volts on the PINK wire (assuming this is an F4i) on the ignition switch.

Basically wire a resistor and 9.1 Volt zener diode in parallel to get ~9 volts to that wire. The fuel pump WILL NOT PRIME unless you do this. Look up zener diode voltage regulator for more info. This was exactly how I did the mod of the stock ECU setup in my Amod car.

Chris Bielski
05-16-2010, 04:33 PM
On my own '04 F4i (with 16k miles if anyone is interested in buying :P ) I had a problem starting one night completely out of the blue. No fuel pump priming but everything else seemed fine. Turned out the harness connector from the nose to the ECU had a corroded ground and unplugging the headlights solved the issue temporarily--until I could rewire a new connector.

Moral of the story, Kirk is completely correct about these ECU's being very picky. Check your grounds and connectors.

clee337
05-17-2010, 06:53 AM
All the wires coming to the dash have nothing on the end of the, the lights, relays, bas, all thes are nothing more than connectors. I checked to make sur the side stand switch was working, clutch switch and neutral switch. All were working. I have power to everything and like I stated before if I ground a wire that is attached to the fuel pump relay (which comes from ecu) my fuel pump will come on. Is there away to test ecu at a shop by taking it off and taking it to them

Brian Barnhill
05-17-2010, 07:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by clee337:
All the wires coming to the dash have nothing on the end of the, the lights, relays, bas, all thes are nothing more than connectors. I checked to make sur the side stand switch was working, clutch switch and neutral switch. All were working. I have power to everything and like I stated before if I ground a wire that is attached to the fuel pump relay (which comes from ecu) my fuel pump will come on. Is there away to test ecu at a shop by taking it off and taking it to them </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You still haven't listed anything to do with the security wire... The problem is exactly what happens when you don't have 9 volts to that wire. The ECU thinks there is no key in the ignition and the car is being hotwired, so it won't turn on the fuel pump.

Could still be a ground wire as well, and as mentioned, the ECUs can be very picky. But if you have not done anything to that security wire in the key switch I would start there. Search the forums on the topic as it has been discussed before as well.

clee337
05-17-2010, 07:09 PM
I do not have any voltage to the pink wire. I will research it now

clee337
05-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Would that security wire also keep it from firing

clee337
05-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Okay took apart switch and diode appears to be busted. Where could I pick another one up at? Radio shack maybe

Brian Barnhill
05-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Radioshack typically doesn't cary zener diodes in any decent range. I got one from a specialty electronics shop. You can order one from McMaster, DigiKey, etc if you can't find one local.

clee337
05-18-2010, 08:13 PM
Got some resistors from radio shack. Took 5 to get it right. But I got them soldered in and plugged up the switch and wahla, fuel pump kicked on. I hit the start button and it fired up. I was like a kid getting a new toy.. Thanks for all your help. My brother was in a fatal accident on this bike and I just could not scrap it. He was very proud of it. Don't know if I'll ever be able to get on it but I can't get rid of it.... I'm sure y'all will hear from me again. I am looking for a radiator now. Anyone know where let me know.... Thanks again

Chad lee

BuckeyeEngines
05-20-2010, 10:34 AM
I have a radiator or two. Im in columbus Oh.

clee337
05-20-2010, 01:45 PM
How much are u wanting for one

BuckeyeEngines
05-21-2010, 08:11 AM
20 plus shipping unless you are local.

clee337
05-21-2010, 12:48 PM
I am in lufkin tx. Do u know what the shipping would be to zip 75904? I also need a reservoir and a dash.

BuckeyeEngines
05-25-2010, 07:33 AM
$15 for ups ground

chris23492
07-14-2010, 04:34 PM
got any more radiators...really need one bad..let me know

chris23492@comcast.net ive got cash or can paypal too