PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Cell design

Dunlap
10-29-2005, 02:21 PM
I'm on a first year team, I'm designing the fuel tank I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to prevent fuel slosh in the fuel cell. Looking for suggestions, diagams, past experience. Also open for any suggestions on some other fuel cell designs.
Thanks All

Dunlap
10-29-2005, 02:21 PM
I'm on a first year team, I'm designing the fuel tank I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to prevent fuel slosh in the fuel cell. Looking for suggestions, diagams, past experience. Also open for any suggestions on some other fuel cell designs.
Thanks All

magicweed
10-29-2005, 04:19 PM
Simple baffles in the tank, usually upright plates with holes for fuel passage. These should eliminate most of the slosh, but make sure the passages are large enough, as the fueling station got pissed at us last year due to inefficient passage size in the baffling. It took 7 minutes to put in 2.25 gallons (timed by the official himself).

osubeaver
10-29-2005, 04:28 PM
Sounds similar to what happened to us. Our sight tube was pretty tough to see, so they had one fuel guy lie on his back and watch the sight tube while the other guy poured very very slowly. It must have taken 10 minutes to fill up. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

Ryan McCauley
10-29-2005, 05:42 PM
We used This (http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=fuel+foam&N=0+301310&D=301310&Ntk=KeywordSearch) last year. Worked out great and we haven't had any problems with it.

jack
10-29-2005, 08:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryan McCauley:
We used This (http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=fuel+foam&N=0+301310&D=301310&Ntk=KeywordSearch) last year. Worked out great and we haven't had any problems with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

does that stuff work with ethonol?

Colin
10-30-2005, 02:53 PM
if you are going to use that fuel foam be carefull where you put it because if you put it in the wrong spot it can restric fuel access to the pump pickup.we had a situation last year where we got more surge with the foam in the tank.

Dunlap
10-31-2005, 07:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by magicweed:
Simple baffles in the tank, usually upright plates with holes for fuel passage. These should eliminate most of the slosh, but make sure the passages are large enough, as the fueling station got pissed at us last year due to inefficient passage size in the baffling. It took 7 minutes to put in 2.25 gallons (timed by the official himself). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you remember the size of your passages in your upright plates magicweed?

magicweed
10-31-2005, 07:50 AM
Don't remember, as it was made by another team member, but if I was to do it again, I would only have 2 plates, equally spaced width wise in the tank. The height of the plate would go from 1/4 of the way up the tank, to 2/3 the height of the tank, with offset 1 inch holes in each plate. That way the tank can fill normally, and evenly distribute the fuel, maintain good fuel scavenging characteristics at low fuel levels, and reduce the amount of "sloshing" in the tank.

I mean, the main pupose of tank baffling is for less than full conditions. I feel the effects don't become that severe until 1/4 to 1/3 of the fuel is gone.

Mike McNulty
11-01-2005, 10:18 AM
Easiest way to make sure that you avoid the fueling time is like majicweed said.. dont make the baffles full height.

Depending on the shape of your tank will determine how high you need to make the baffles. Analyze the worst case senario for your tank and make sure taht the pickup is submerged for as much of the tank usage as possible. Its also very simple to make a model of your design and test it out with some water

Homemade WRX
11-02-2005, 07:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryan McCauley:
We used This (http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=fuel+foam&N=0+301310&D=301310&Ntk=KeywordSearch) last year. Worked out great and we haven't had any problems with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree, the foam worked great...it was just our tank design (or lack there of) that hurt us...