PDA

View Full Version : CRF 450 engine model / opinion

MikeDutsa
07-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Hey guys,

We were considering switching to a 450, but its tough with no engine and no solid model. So... I was wondering if any one had a model that they could sling us.

Also, if anyone has any thing, good or bad, to say about the honda 450, i'm all ears.

Thanks,
Mike D

MikeDutsa
07-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Hey guys,

We were considering switching to a 450, but its tough with no engine and no solid model. So... I was wondering if any one had a model that they could sling us.

Also, if anyone has any thing, good or bad, to say about the honda 450, i'm all ears.

Thanks,
Mike D

flavorPacket
07-07-2008, 02:23 PM
you don't need a solid model.

You need a digital camera, a ruler, and autoCAD. Go to a Honda dealership and do it the same way everyone does.

Drew Price
07-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Cheap, light, plentiful parts and aftermarket hardware support (same as with the 600's).

We (and a few other 'single' teams we have been in touch with) know that to be competitive with the 450cc package, you really need to trim the weight of the car. Like, a lot. You can be competitive with a 500lb car with a decent 600cc (Stuttgart). You cannot (that's a liberal cannot, I have seen crazier things) be competitive with a 450 that weights 450lbs (close to the weight difference in the powerplants alone).

Wringing 60hp from a 450 is a good way to get serious mechanical reliability issues without a lot of thought. 60hp from a CBR, and you'd be looking for a new guy to tune your engine, no?

As always, In My Humble Oppinion.

Best,
Drew

exbaja
07-07-2008, 09:31 PM
The CRF is a very cool engine. It is compact and there are oil coolers readily available built into radiators with adapters that are proven in MX racing. It has separate transmission and engine oil, as well as being factory dry sumped. The one thing I really do not like about it is the unicam. It can become tough to adjust LC separation since this would obviously require a new cam rather than adjusting a sprocket. It does however use a roller follower which does not limit valve train velocity like a flat follower does, you are limited by pressure angle and acceleration.

eliwelds
09-22-2008, 08:12 PM
Mike,
Did you ever find a solid model or did you have to make your own?

Eli
Cal Poly, SLO FSAE

Daniel Veneziano
03-11-2009, 08:15 AM
Has anyone accuratley measured the external spline that mates with the engine sprocket?