PDA

View Full Version : bearings for mounting differential

ketan
02-19-2007, 06:55 AM
What bearings are teams using for mounting torsen differential?

Any help would be of great use coz we are participating for first time

Steven Gilbert
02-19-2007, 07:57 AM
I too am interested to know the answer to this question.

The question really is what types of forces do the carriers see? Is it mostly radial, thrust, or an equal combination of both? If it is both, i.e. you could calculate a combined load, what kind of numbers should I use?

I'm thinking of going with SKF Deep Groove ball bearings but these are designed more for radial load but can handle some thrust load. The obvious choice for thrust loads are angular contact bearings but these I have found to be considerably more expensive than that of a deep groove type.

Anyways, Just thought I would let people know I was thinking about this issue too.

Steven Gilbert
The University of Alabama

ketan
02-19-2007, 08:04 AM
be of great use coz we are participating for first time
WELL I WAS ALSO THINKING ALONG THE SAME LINES.....ACTUALLY I HAVE BEEN ADVISED TO USE ROLLER BEARINGS INSTEAD OF BALL BEARINGS BECOZ OF THERE BETTER AXIAL LOAD BEARING CAPACITY

ALSO I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHETHER SKF OR FAG BOTH HAVE SAME LOAD CAPACITIES?

Steven Gilbert
02-19-2007, 08:08 AM
Again I'm not sure whether or not the differential sees any thrust loads, I'm assuming it sees some, but I know that roller bearings can not handle hardly any thrust load.

As far as whether they have load capacities, absolutely. These can be found on the bearing manufacturer's website or sometimes from the vender. For example, if you look on mscdirect.com and find an SKF bearing, it will have load ratings.

$

Parker
02-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Ideally, your carrier bearings in a chain driven application shouldnt see any thrust loads. The real key to this (IMO) is getting your alignments right. We use a sealed radial bearing, the size of which was pretty much determined by the bearing surfaces on the differential. unless you get a super light duty bearing, they shouldnt wear out soon.

billywight
02-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Ideally, your carrier bearings in a chain driven application shouldnt see any thrust loads

Assuming your axles aren't spring loaded and no friction or binding in your tripods/CV's. You just have to figure out if this is a good assumption or not...

Tony K
02-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Bearing thrust loads for a chain driven unit will, if properly designed that is, be minimal. However, if it's being driven by a gear like ours is, then you obviously induce thrust loads from the ring and pinion gear interface.

I just did a fair amount of bearing research for our wheel bearing selection, and I found that you can't get much better than the INA and SKF websites and catalogs for technical information.

http://medias.ina.de/medias/ext/hp?lang=en
http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/products?maincatalogue=1&lang=en&newlink=1
Also, if you go to the INA Library, you can find their massive range of catalogs, technical papers, etc. If you request their complete rolling bearing catalog (HR 1), they send you a hard-bound bearing book that has pretty much everything you will ever need to know about bearings. I highly recommend anyone interested in bearings take advantage of it since it is absolutely free.

http://www.ina.com/content.ina.de/en/services/library/l...etails.jsp?id=246581 (http://www.ina.com/content.ina.de/en/services/library/library-details.jsp?id=246581)

Conor
02-19-2007, 10:52 AM
We've used plain old ball bearings chosen to match the bearing surface on the diff. We've even been running corroded bearings just to see how long it would take them to fail and we've survived just fine. I'd say, plain old ball bearings will get the job done, don't over think your problem.

Parker
02-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by billywight:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ideally, your carrier bearings in a chain driven application shouldnt see any thrust loads

Assuming your axles aren't spring loaded and no friction or binding in your tripods/CV's. You just have to figure out if this is a good assumption or not... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats why I started off with Ideally http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Maverik
02-19-2007, 03:03 PM
Not to jack the post or anything, Parker, you guys need a website so I can call you! Been trying to get in touch since you seem to need a radiator, at least let me know whether or not I can help.

NetKev92
02-21-2007, 04:26 PM
SKF
Timken
Torrington
FAG
INA

I downloaded a lot of bearing data online last year. If you look at the manufacturer websites, there are several with pdf data.

If you plan to pre-load the differential inside a sealed case like you would with a crown and pinion driven diff in a production car, angular contact rollers are the way to go. With chain drive though, the chain allows a bit sloppier alignment without instantly eating itself. If you pick up a radial ball bearing with a few thousand pounds of radial load capacity, it ought to be able to handle a few hundred pounds of axial load. I don't imagine too many cars having more than 100 pounds of lateral tension or loading. It would be hard to assemble the things if they were sprung that tight. Angular contacts are better, but radial ball bearings may be good enough at much lower cost. I saw an upright design not too long ago just using a pair of radial ball bearings despite the high axial loads - maybe a super vee. In a racecar that doesn't rack up a large number of miles, it may not be a big deal.

Pull up a pdf catalog or two and start looking. Make sure you can get the bearing you want in a decent lead time, and check the price. Large diameter bearings cost a few bucks.

Palsalomon
02-22-2007, 10:19 AM
ketan,
from which team are you..U seem to be an Indian...from which university are you??