PDA

View Full Version : Adams software

kozak
03-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Does any one know if we can get the Adams software free anymore. I emailed the Adams people and i didn;t get anything back. The reason i'm asking is because we are starting our FSAE team this year and we have no suspension design software. Or if anybody has any other ideas on what i can use that is free and, well, good.

kozak
03-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Does any one know if we can get the Adams software free anymore. I emailed the Adams people and i didn;t get anything back. The reason i'm asking is because we are starting our FSAE team this year and we have no suspension design software. Or if anybody has any other ideas on what i can use that is free and, well, good.

DJHache
03-09-2005, 03:10 PM
There's another topic about this further down. Start with something basic like Excel for dynamics and Solidworks for kinematics. Step up to something like Cosmosmotion or Working model for more complex kinematics. Then if you have a good understanding of your tires shocks and geometry you can use ADAMS or Mitchell's software. Lotus Engineering also has software but hese programs aren't necessarily used by your university so may come at a cost.

alfordda
03-09-2005, 04:24 PM
kozak-

Check your pm's.

Benz
03-09-2005, 06:16 PM
I'm also interested by those software. Can you give me some info about it?

Mark Bacchetti
03-10-2005, 07:28 AM
MSC will give you a 120 day free trial. After that, I believe your school will have to lease the software. The link below has more info and contact information.

http://www.mscsoftware.com/support/university/student_competitions/free_car.cfm

kozak
03-10-2005, 01:09 PM
Our SAE president and Baja team leader says that he has one of the Carrol smith books of suspension thats how he designed the baja suspension. could i just use that and excel.

G.Arce
04-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Good faternoon!

After six years since the last post, hope you don't mind I post here.

I tried e-mailing MSC Software for a copy of the software, as I believe it was available for FSAE teams. After two weeks, I haven't received any news.

Does any one if it is free for teams and how to get it?

Thx in advance!

DougGibb
04-25-2011, 02:24 AM
Do a search for 'Joe Little'. He is a member on this forum, and now works for MSC Software. He'll hook you up. I believe you can get it for free, but you need to do a bit of paperwork, and submit a report back to MSC explaining what you did with the software. So there is a bit of work to do.

It's looks like a very in-depth program. You'd want to have the simpler ones down pat before you step into something like ADAMS car. To start with I'd be looking at a simple dynamic model in CAD, then figure out how to use a kinematics program like SusProg3D, OptimumK, WinGeo, Lotus Shark etc.

I'm no expert, I was just reeling off a list of programs i've heard of. They may not all be appropriate.

G.Arce
04-25-2011, 06:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DougGibb:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank yoy very much Doug!
We already have analysis with Lotus, but we would like to explore the posibilites that ADAMS sofware offers.

Thx mate!

Joe_Little
04-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Going on what Doug said, Adams is quite in-depth and its a great help to definitely know what your looking for going in, as well as having some experience with other analysis programs. It help's to understand that Adams is a very robust, high level tool and is in a different class than many of the programs listed above (its actually more comparable to Nastran, Abaqus, or Matlab in many ways). It is, however, a great long term move to invest in Adams (or robust simulation tools in general) both your yourself and for your team.

If anyone else has any issue contacting MSC about getting a FSAE license just PM me. Also, some colleagues and I will (barring something unexpected) be at the Detroit Event, so be sure to look for us there.