PDA

View Full Version : understand tyre data

faeez
04-03-2009, 03:49 PM
I was just wondering, our team has a set of tyre data from the consortium, but how do intepret graph to actually get my required toe and camber trend during roll and bumps? cheers.

faeez
04-03-2009, 03:49 PM
I was just wondering, our team has a set of tyre data from the consortium, but how do intepret graph to actually get my required toe and camber trend during roll and bumps? cheers.

J.R.
04-04-2009, 07:45 AM
For camber, use load transfer and you can find the ideal location based on your current Fz, etc etc. Toe you need some sort of simulation in order to get the correct delta to give the alpha you want, and things will change constantly under different driving conditions. Soo, based on your other posts, don't worry about it too much this year, just get something that works decently down. I was in the same boat at the beginning of this year.

If you plan on making the AUS competition and your a first year team, I would start building ASAP, it takes longer than you think.

faeez
04-04-2009, 02:07 PM
thanks, is this from the load transfer vs slip angle graph?

J.R.
04-04-2009, 02:58 PM
I've never heard of that particular graph.... The graph you'll use most is the Lateral force (Fy) vs Slip Angle (alpha) at various loads (Fz) and one camber (gamma). That's the one I was referring to before. Alpha will be mostly a guessing game, since it will change with steering angle (delta) and your velocity, lateral/longitudinal accels etc, etc.

faeez
04-04-2009, 08:11 PM
sorry my bad, actually is force vs slip angle. I dont quite understand, what is alpha? and does the peak of the graph represent the allowable camber angle? thanks

J.R.
04-05-2009, 07:11 AM
At this point you need to do some reading. I'm happy to help, but all your questions can be answered by Race Car Vehicle Dynamics by Milliken and Milliken. It's only $80 ish with your SAE discount, and it is a must have for your shop if you want to engineer a car.