PDA

View Full Version : Any Suggestions for Site???

drivetrainUW-Platt
11-14-2005, 10:03 AM
Just wondering what other ppl would like to see for changes. I would liketo see "stickys" on things like cad parts and the always asked questions about simple things that have been brought up 10000 times on here. Also some additions to the Photos would be cool.

Chuck Dean
11-15-2005, 02:26 AM
...an articles archive would be sweet. If people submitted tech articles they have found/written we could build an impressive knowledge base.

RiNaZ
11-15-2005, 03:23 AM
Moderators would be good. This will avoid the same question being ask again and again. The moderators can move the topic to the previous discussion on the same topic.

It's hard to find material that you're looking for if one section has 70+ pages and hundreds of topics to go thru. Especially if the FIND button doesnt do you any good. Then you have to go thru every single topic/page to find what you're looking for.

Maybe someone who can design a better homepage (obviously this is a voluntary work). And a better picture browser, maybe like those FSAE websites where we can use the fwd button etc.

And maybe a good graphic designer who can do one of those Road & Track templates on Car Specifications (you know what im talking about right, the one page that is in blue and dark blue, with power/torque graph).

Alexandre D.
11-15-2005, 08:03 AM
Maybe a locked section where it's not possible to create new topic. So especially good topic could be moved there and people could only reply.

Having moderators removing topic and everything is a bit tricky. It WILL create problems. Also, it would mean much more work for FSAE.com. It's already nice enough to host this forum.

RiNaZ
03-08-2006, 11:11 PM
i guess i can bring this topic up again.

Tell us what you guys think. And maybe if there is someone in here who is good with graphics can do a revamp on the homepage.

PatClarke
03-09-2006, 12:37 AM
Considering the amount of really basic stuff being asked on here, I agree that some 'stickies' would be in order.
I would certainly post the 'Newbie' paper of mine that is posted in other places.
There is lots of stuff on here that could be posted in a sticky format to help those who 'came in late'.
Pat

Jersey Tom
03-09-2006, 01:27 AM
Stickies..

'How do I make uprights?'
'Whats the best way to do CFD on the intake?'
'What engine should we use?'

RiNaZ
03-09-2006, 03:57 AM
it's been a while since the owner of this site post anything. So unless he's reading this, i dont think we do anything about all these basic questions.

FSAE.com
03-09-2006, 07:57 AM
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions. I can see where the "Stickies" could help out since the forum continues to grow. I'll go ahead and set up a couple of moderators who can take care of this sort of thing.

Users will still be able to post topics without having to wait on approval from a moderator, but the moderator will then be able to move, modify, or "feature" (sticky) the post.

As for revamping the site, I'm definitely open to people's input. Not just ideas but actual work http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif This site is volunteer and currently does not generate any income, just expense. So if you or anyone you know is interested in creating nicer pages, send them my way and we'll talk. Just use the contact us form at the bottom.

Have a great day!!
Ira

drivetrainUW-Platt
03-09-2006, 08:29 AM
take a look at how this is setup:
http://performancetrucks.net/forums/
I spend a lot of time on that forum, and its very easy to navigate and keep things organized.
a few subcatagories we could have would be: new members, forced induction, engine performance, suspension, electronics, tuning, drivetrain, classifieds, multimedia, then just a general BS section.......also they allow the mods to move things around on that site to place them in more appropriate discussions...

CMURacing - Prometheus
03-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Rather than completely revamp the site, it might be good to appoint a few moderators (to maintain continuity, how about some of the alums/design judge types?), then start archiving (and locking?) all the old threads by topic. then we can keep discussing new stuff, but also have a systematic reference for previous discussions.

drivetrainUW-Platt
03-09-2006, 02:03 PM
it seems as thou the senior members are getting crankier and the new ppl are getting dumber...maybe its just me, but there is a very defined line between those that are clueless and those that know too much for there own good.....its making for some nonconstructive discussion on here recently.

Biggy72
03-09-2006, 11:58 PM
an area with common solid works drawings would be nice like said above, or other 3d drawings.

illiterate
03-24-2006, 03:36 AM
A knowledge database on the lines of wikipedia (www.wikipedia.org) would be nice

Marshall Grice
04-24-2006, 08:37 AM
...is this the first sticky???

Homemade WRX
04-24-2006, 11:31 AM
FAQ's...for newbies...
compile links to threads relating to the same topic...

drivetrainUW-Platt
04-24-2006, 01:44 PM
ya, what is this, its has 1000 views, whats the ! about?

RiNaZ
04-24-2006, 02:41 PM
i think that's how sticky works ... with a !

Sam Zimmerman
04-24-2006, 11:45 PM
This site has obviously been around for a while and while there is always room for improvements I would definately say that it is fine just the way it is. I still look back from time to time just to see what the latest hot topic is.

As far as whether the newbies are becoming dumber, spend a little time looking at the threads from 2002 as opposed to now and i think you will find that the overall knowledge level has increased dramatically. This site, along with vetrans like Denny, Charlie, Suddenlee and others, has done more to further the FSAE knowledge base than I ever would have thought possible at the beginning. Indeed, the members of this forum over the years have collectively done as much or more to educate FSAE members as any other single online source.

So, I guess the point of another long (but now infrequent) ramble is that some things are better without wholesale changes. Small iterations if you must, but without new members asking the same questions this forum would have become stagnant within a year of inception. Hell, you guys are still discussing Keizer wheels! And Charlie is still chiming in on that discussion for the 100th time. But this time, I am not arguing with him. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

PedalOnTheRight
04-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Since it said suggestions without any specifics I'd like to say a few things....

First of all, it's not that this site is difficult to use, but it could be much more newbie friendly.
This is a great example (http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/) of a site that I frequent that has excellent search capabilites, and the PM and profile functions are good as well. I feel that the sectioned forums on this site are good, but an update never hurts. My suggestion would be to make the site as easy to use as the one I linked, with an FSAE twist of cool pictures, perhaps flash, and a more attractive home page.

RiNaZ
04-26-2006, 04:16 AM
that's a great point sam ... things have gotten really slow during christmas until those guys from Iran came in with their questions.

I guess all newbie questions are welcome, but maybe not to the point where you're making it so obvious that you're looking for a free ride like what we've been seeing recently.

it's gonna be a while till you see some changes to this site, but we got to start somewhere i guess.

drivetrainUW-Platt
04-30-2006, 10:20 PM
speaking of stickys, how about:
radiator design, single vs 4 cylinder, can it win...and the gf vs fsae one that went on forever

mark zhai
05-04-2006, 10:44 PM
MAKE A NEW SITE IN WHICH ONLY SMART PEOPLE ARE ALLOWED. I'm not questioning newbs, becasue we were all once a newb. But I hate the idiots who post questions a simple google search could have answered. Why can't nature selection working faster...

James Waltman
05-05-2006, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by mark zhai:
MAKE A NEW SITE IN WHICH ONLY SMART PEOPLE ARE ALLOWED...
Why can't nature selection working faster...

Man, I laughed for a few minutes at that one.

drivetrainUW-Platt
05-05-2006, 09:42 AM
Madison eh.....how things lookin for you guys?

Bart Smith
05-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Certainly stickies would be a good idea.

I think they could be broken up into specific categeries. IE: Brakes, suspension, engine, etc.

I see the same questions being asked over and over again, and if they were in categories, it may greatly reduce the need to ask these question.
Then again people still have to go to the trouble of searching for the answer,it just makes it easier.

Patrick W. Crane
05-10-2006, 03:05 PM
It would be really nice to have sub menus under the main headings. Open could be subdivided into
Suspension
Frame
Elec
Engine
etc.

dynamic could be broken down into Each of the events and a general

etc etc

that would make research on the site a heck of a lot easier.

MikeDutsa
05-11-2006, 04:32 PM
it would be kind of cool to have a complete history of results posted somewhere. like the top 5 teams form each compitition for every year laid out in an organized manner.

TG
05-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by MikeDutsa:
it would be kind of cool to have a complete history of results posted somewhere. like the top 5 teams form each compitition for every year laid out in an organized manner.

You can find that on the FSAE page on sae.org.

I agree that there should be sections for various areas of the car. First, it would make searches more narrowed. Additionally, it would steer a lot of the random babble in the 'general' area move to the 'off topic' area, which I feel isn't used as much as it should be.

And stickies are a plus... there should definately be a sticky up on the basics of using the search feature, putting up pics, etc.

DrC
05-29-2006, 06:16 PM
A sticky on team organization and faculty advisor issues might be warrented, as well.

Bill Kunst
07-26-2006, 08:19 PM
OKay, I dont know if this has been said, but is there any way that we could remove for sale adds after the item has been sold. There is no reason to archive that.
Bill

V2 - Italy
08-09-2006, 11:59 AM
If an administrator is present out there, he could correct the countdown to the next competition.

FSAE ITALY will start in 28 days not 44...

Daniele

Mike Claffey
08-27-2006, 01:11 AM
Put a sticky thread at the top of the page saying "Please use the search function before you post" and something like "Please don't use AOL speak" ie LOL and abbreviated terms because it can be really hard to understand a post at 1 in the morning when thats the only time alot poeple have to read this forum.

That could stop the majority of poeple who post bitchy replies to first time posters.

Mechanicaldan
10-08-2006, 09:51 PM
How about adding these specific sections?

Safety Equipment
Tires
Suspension & Dampers
Chassis
Engine & ECUs
Electrical
Final drive
Brakes
Controls
Body / Aerodynamics
Set-up
Testing & Driving
Team Management
Sponsorship

Keep the Open FSAE Discussion section, but slowly new posts would populate the specific sections, and a moderator could move the old posts to the specific sections.