PDA

View Full Version : Transient tyre effects on max driving torque.

D J Yates
11-01-2004, 01:01 PM
A team mate working on the drive train has been asking for some numbers regarding the maximum longitudinal tyre force that we can expect to see, and hence the max torque through the drive shafts. Obviously, the longitudinal and lateral loads are dependent on the normal loads - i have some tyre data from the nice people at Avon to find these for steady state situations. But what about transient effects?

Consider that during hard acceleration the car hits a big bump causing a large but brief increase in normal load. What about the longitudinal forces then? Is there also a brief but large increase in longitudinal load, does the max longitudinal load slowly increase or is the system underdamped (unlikely IMO)?

I suppose the same situation applies for lateral loads too.

As i'm fairly new to the physics of tyres i'm hoping some of you will be able to help me out. If the worst possible steady state load case is acceleration during cornering whilst on an inclined and cambered road, what is the worst case when including the transient effects.

I appreciate that this may be a difficult question to answer and don't expect many responses. But i'm sure any team running or considering running carbon fibre prop shafts understands the importance of this.

And completely off topic... Thanks to everyone for the scrub radius help. I never got round to replying in that thread, but your suggestions and coments were much appreciated. The following steering disscusion was interesting to.