PDA

View Full Version : ANSYS modeling of brake rotors

Adam Andriano
09-18-2006, 07:33 PM
I was wondering if anyone who uses ANSYS FEA knew how to represent the loads applied by the brake pads on the brake rotors.

Adam Andriano
09-18-2006, 07:33 PM
I was wondering if anyone who uses ANSYS FEA knew how to represent the loads applied by the brake pads on the brake rotors.

Homemade WRX
09-19-2006, 10:34 AM
I made an extrusion (.00001") in the shape and at the position of the pads and loaded from there in relation to where the load at the bobbins with the calculated maximum torque.

B
09-19-2006, 09:50 PM
I ahvn't done it on ANSYS before but on Solidworks/COSMOS i put a split line on the surface of the rotor that is the shape of the pad and applied a toruque on that face.

I recommend you do the fea as an assemble as the will find that the bobbin closest to the pad will experiacne the highest load. The loads will not be even distributed on all the bobbins.

Homemade WRX
09-20-2006, 10:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B:
I recommend you do the fea as an assemble as the will find that the bobbin closest to the pad will experiacne the highest load. The loads will not be even distributed on all the bobbins. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would definately have to agree with that as my results were similar

TomF
09-21-2006, 07:52 AM
Yes that was my way as well. It is worth to try and investigate for temperature influences on your material properties as well, however when I did this, I found stresses that were further away from the limit of the material and a more even spread loading on the bolts (I guess that's what you mean with bobbins?). And yes the shorter the loadpath the more torque it will atrack. I also tried several ways of loading: surface force vs concentrated and it did not show any big differences, which assured me of my solution.

Adam Andriano
09-26-2006, 11:53 AM
Awsome. Thank you all.