PDA

View Full Version : Ask a race engineer

Jerry Lee
12-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Hi guys.
I run a small blog. It deals with tuning track cars and now my go-karting adventures, but every once in a while I try to interview industry professionals. In the past I have interviewed pro drivers. This time I'd like to interview a race engineer. Without going into too many details, I can say the person I'd like to interview is a proud FSAE alumni.

I'd like to ask you for your help. I was not an engineering major, nor did I have aspirations of becoming a race engineer. So I was wondering what aspiring engineering students would like to ask someone who is now established in the industry. Career, work subject matter, favorite food, any topic goes.

Thanks in advance.

2008 San Diego State University
Former president, Aztec Racing

Jerry Lee
12-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Hi guys.
I run a small blog. It deals with tuning track cars and now my go-karting adventures, but every once in a while I try to interview industry professionals. In the past I have interviewed pro drivers. This time I'd like to interview a race engineer. Without going into too many details, I can say the person I'd like to interview is a proud FSAE alumni.

I'd like to ask you for your help. I was not an engineering major, nor did I have aspirations of becoming a race engineer. So I was wondering what aspiring engineering students would like to ask someone who is now established in the industry. Career, work subject matter, favorite food, any topic goes.

Thanks in advance.

2008 San Diego State University
Former president, Aztec Racing

js10coastr
12-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Maybe where he (or she) goes go karting? http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif How about favorite series... and how he got to his current position. Maybe advice to aspiring racecar engineers, or advice for the teams. And let's throw "favorite dessert" into the mix.

Drew Price
12-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Peach cobbler.

kcapitano
12-13-2011, 07:48 AM
I'd like to hear what he likes most or least about his job now. Perhaps how a real motorsport team differs from FSAE teams? What skills he feels are the most important, or helped him the most? I think a lot of people struggle to get into motorsports after graduation, so maybe something about that too.

Jerry Lee
12-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Any more?

M. Nader
12-18-2011, 11:10 PM
I'd like to know the nature of the job (working hours, dedication skills,,,etc) and what it takes to reach the very high levels (F1 race engineer for example). and ya of course i want to know the difference between a professional race engineer and FSAE.
asking about design hierarchy in each company would be helpful too, who decides on development directions and that kind of stuff

Drew Price
12-19-2011, 03:02 PM
I would like to hear about all the different responsibilities expected of the race engineer. I haven't met anyone who has worked at the pro level in motorsport who hasn't ended up doing 2-3 different jobs on top of the one they are technically responsible for doing. How a typical race weekend actually goes and changes during an event is always an interesting thing to hear about.