PDA

View Full Version : AWD

Johan
03-31-2005, 11:47 PM
Hey,

I'm doing some research on the feasibility of using AWD on Formula SAE Cars. I know of two entries at last year's Formula Student competition by the University of Bath (front wheels driven hydraulically) and by FH Joanneum in Graz (front wheels driven by chain). Both of which weren't hugely successfull. Anyone know about any other attempts? By any chance a successfull one? Why is it used so rarely (other than weight issues) and what problems did you encounter if you did try it?
Cheers!

Johan
03-31-2005, 11:47 PM
Hey,

I'm doing some research on the feasibility of using AWD on Formula SAE Cars. I know of two entries at last year's Formula Student competition by the University of Bath (front wheels driven hydraulically) and by FH Joanneum in Graz (front wheels driven by chain). Both of which weren't hugely successfull. Anyone know about any other attempts? By any chance a successfull one? Why is it used so rarely (other than weight issues) and what problems did you encounter if you did try it?
Cheers!

Yuggy
04-01-2005, 12:37 AM
I know the University of Newcastle (Australia) had AWD at the 2003 F-SAE-A comp. But I don't think they actually got the car running at the comp. They had a shaft driving the front wheels.

Daves
04-01-2005, 07:03 AM
University of Guelph was successful.

Pico2
04-01-2005, 01:55 PM
"University of Guelph was successful."

For the most part... we placed 17th. We will be continuing the AWD tradition this year as well.

Jay Fleming
04-01-2005, 10:40 PM
Pico, do you have pics or a link to y'alls car?

Ben Beacock
04-02-2005, 07:41 AM
http://www.soe.uoguelph.ca/webfiles/uogracing/

Feasibility is a tough one. Our system is down to 27kg this year and under ideal conditions (max grip/temperature, fast course) it comes out on par with the equivalently lighter RWD car. However, with a cold or damp track the benefits are huge. It has rained in Detroit for as long as I've been there(3yrs), although it wasn't raining anytime we ran last year. Since the pure acceleration benefit isn't large in some situations, we've been spending considerable time working on stability and brake bias control. The advatage here is that it helps novice drivers get the max out of the car.