PDA

View Full Version : 2nd year car and SEF

Eden
08-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Hi All

My name is Eden. We are considering running a second year car this year. We run a Carbon monocoque chassis which has past the structural equivalence rules in 2010. I was wondering whether the same chassis will have to meet the additional structural equivalence rules stated in the 2011 rules document (e.g. B3.38). From reading it seems like we will have to meet all the requirements stated in the 2011 document, but we were sure if that was the case. Would appreciate some guidance from teams who have ran 2nd year cars before.

Cheers

Eden
08-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Hi All

My name is Eden. We are considering running a second year car this year. We run a Carbon monocoque chassis which has past the structural equivalence rules in 2010. I was wondering whether the same chassis will have to meet the additional structural equivalence rules stated in the 2011 rules document (e.g. B3.38). From reading it seems like we will have to meet all the requirements stated in the 2011 document, but we were sure if that was the case. Would appreciate some guidance from teams who have ran 2nd year cars before.

Cheers

Spetsnazos
08-16-2011, 05:02 PM
you want to enter the same car you did last year?

Kirby
08-16-2011, 05:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spetsnazos:
you want to enter the same car you did last year? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is legal in some competitions.

Eden, perhaps you would like to identify what competition you are planning to attend?

Eden
08-16-2011, 05:43 PM
thanks Kirby, we will be attending the Australasia comp.

Cheers.

Spetsnazos
08-16-2011, 06:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kirby:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spetsnazos:
you want to enter the same car you did last year? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is legal in some competitions.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know that, but I was just trying to figure out what he wanted to do first. Then I would ask what competition its at.

Kirby
08-16-2011, 06:28 PM
http://www.saea.com.au/wp-cont...ddendum-2011-V.2.pdf (http://www.saea.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/FORMULA-SAE-A-Addendum-2011-V.2.pdf)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">FSAE-A Rules Ammendum 2011 A6.9.1:
Vehicles that have competed during any one (1) previous Formula SAE
year may compete provided that they have been substantially modified
from the original design in accordance with clause A6.8.1.
Photographic and design documentation detailing the modifications are
required, along with a statement from the team’s Faculty Advisor.

The penalties per A6.9.2 apply.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed it is legal to run a second year car, however, I think its pretty clear the rules being followed for TI and Certification are the current (2011) rule-book. Therefore, the second year car (or chassis) would also have to comply with this year's rule set and any changes from the previous year.

Which means your SEF for the chassis will most likely require updating.

There was some leniency in 2009 when there were non-compliant 2nd year cars with respect to templates, but this was predetermined on the basis that templates would be a phase-in in Australia instead of a cut-off. I don't believe there is any such thing for the new requirements. However, if you still require further clarification I'd be emailing the SAE-A and the Rules Committee.