PDA

View Full Version : sensors

Renato
01-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Hello!
I'm from FSAE Brasil. Does anyone know which sensor could i use to detect the shifter position?? We use a Honda cb 450.
Thanks!!

Renato Vidaurre

Renato
01-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Hello!
I'm from FSAE Brasil. Does anyone know which sensor could i use to detect the shifter position?? We use a Honda cb 450.
Thanks!!

Renato Vidaurre

Christopher Catto
01-12-2008, 03:37 AM
Contact Penny & Giles via their website.

They will be able to find a sensor for you. There are many other companies doing sensors but I thought i'd keep it simple. They will be able to solve your issue quickly and you won't make the mistake of buying something cheap off the web without advice.

Renato
01-12-2008, 08:04 AM
Thanks a lot!!!

Steve O
01-13-2008, 08:15 AM
I'm assuming the purpose would be so you can have a gear position indicator on the dashboard? Someone else may know a better way, but typically, with my experience, on vehicles that do not already have a sensor to indicate this, instead of installing a sensor into your gear box or making a counter which could end up wrong say if you miss a shift, you obtain current gear by having a circuit that calculates road speed vs. RPM's. It obviously must be calibrated to your vehicle. It is both easy to create and commercially available. All commercially available ones that I have seen work only on the above principle and therefore will not be accurate if you change gears while you are stationary or the motor is off. If you create your own, you can use a counter to calculate position and road speed vs rpm to verify position... this will allow for a display change while the motor is not running or you are stationary and it will also correct itself if got a false trigger to count in one way or another.

Good Luck

Steve

p.s. I might be able to give you assistance with a schematic if you decide to go that route

Renato
01-16-2008, 01:40 PM
hi steve

thanks for your solution. actualy, i won't use the gear indicator to show the gear position in a display. i only need the data from the gear indicator to send to a microcontroller. what i intend is to use a shift light to tell the right time to change gear. the microcontroller will calculate with the gear position and the rpm data.

Steve O
01-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Same situation... for something like that you don't need to worry about gears at all, just rpm vs. road speed. The microcontroller knows what gear you are in because there is only one gear that you move that speed at that rpm...

The whole system can be sensed with a cheap hall effect sensor on the rear sprocket and a signal coming off the coil line into the mcu.

Steve