PDA

View Full Version : f4i engine dwg

Tidexcab99
09-29-2004, 11:16 AM
Anyone have a dwg file of the f4i? I have an .igs version, but it sucks in AutoCAD trying to select objects on the engine..everything is a surface with the igs file.

Tidexcab99
09-29-2004, 11:16 AM
Anyone have a dwg file of the f4i? I have an .igs version, but it sucks in AutoCAD trying to select objects on the engine..everything is a surface with the igs file.

MikeWaggoner at UW
09-29-2004, 03:08 PM
Why are you using autocad? Also, you mind sending a copy of your IGES to me, I'll try to convert it.

mikewagg //at// u.washington.edu

mysticv6
09-29-2004, 06:26 PM
I'd appreciate if I could get a copy of that as well, especially in Autocad, or possibly Inventor? Or anything I might be able to import. cwheeler7@yahoo.com

The original .igs would be useful possibly even.

Tidexcab99
09-29-2004, 09:51 PM
Well, as far as design goes, AutoCAD 2005 is the only program we have. We do have ANSYS and Pro-E, and I'm pretty efficient with ANSYS(even though its horrible to work with), but PRO-E is a different story. Our University just purchased it and only one known faculty member knows it, and he is not a professor(he is in administration). It is not in our curriculum nor is any other modeling software. We did have a 3d autocad class, but that teacher just retired. Besides, I taught that to myself anyway. Being in my senior design class, I currently don't have time to teach Pro-E to myself(even though I've tried with no success at all). Hopefully future Alabama teams will have access to faculty that know Pro-E, Catia, or Ideas, because as you all know those programs can GREATLY improve designs with all of the output data one can get from them.

mysticv6
09-29-2004, 10:52 PM
Tidexcab99, would you mind sending me a copy of your model in any format?

cwheeler7@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Nate Notta
09-30-2004, 11:28 AM
Ditto that one, would you mind emailing me a copy as well? IGES is quite nice as far as I am concerned.

Thanks!

Nate
nantai6@uwindsor.ca
University of Windsor

MikeWaggoner at UW
09-30-2004, 12:04 PM
I'd REALLY recommend starting to learn solid modeling. It's a boon to fitment and design. I started out using SDC books tutorial on ProE and picked up Catia and Solidworks over time by messing around with them. If you go through the tutorial and have someone to ask (even on the forums) it won't be too hard. Some employers require solid modeling anyway...

SBC link on Amazon, you may need an older edition etc.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1585031135/qid=1096570998/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl14/102-2170035-0856966?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

rtrey
09-30-2004, 12:47 PM
I've got it in Pro-E. The dimensions are fairly accurate. How's the accuracy of yours? Could you send me a copy of your IGES file so I can compare.

Trey Wheeler
rtrey@ou.edu

Tidexcab99
09-30-2004, 04:49 PM
For those of you that are wanting the iges file, I kind of hesitant to send it to you, because it has some proprietary components on the engine from another team, and I can't get rid of it since I don't have a program for iges files. Otherwise, its kind of late in the game this semester to learn Pro-E, considering our project must be complete by December(a rolling chassis). We are modeling it in AutoCAD, then transferring that into ANSYS, where all analysis is performed. I know solid modeling is a plus for the job market, but in my book its just kind of hard to claim to know any of it with great success by teaching one's self in one semester.

Travis Garrison
09-30-2004, 05:33 PM
You don't have an iges converter ( "igesin" at the command line)? If your whole campus works off autocad SOMEONE must have an iges converter somewhere....not having one would sort of cut you off from the rest of the world...

-Travis Garrison
UW FSAE

Tidexcab99
09-30-2004, 07:06 PM
Well, I do have a crappy evaluation version of Rhino(which I got from a friend), in which I can convert a iges file to a dwg file, but when I do that, the dwg file become almost impossible to work with in Autocad. There are no lines in the dwg drawing, its all polygons. For instance, if I want to get the center of a circle for mounting location, I cant accurately because there is a polygon shaped figure instead of a true circle there, and the center is then offset to one side. Simply put, our FSAE program had a huge impact on the University purchasing Pro-e this year, but it doesnt help when we have to teach ourselves a new program that none of the students or faculty(all except one person) have ANY knowledge of.