PDA

View Full Version : R6 and CBR oil flow rates

Micko..
01-22-2005, 07:24 PM
hi guys,
just wondering if anyone had any idea of the oil flow rate (max) of an R6 and CBRs does the stacked box on the r6 require a bigger pump to feed it. any help woul be great
cheers

BeaverGuy
01-23-2005, 11:26 AM
If you can get a hold of the oil pump gear and die, you can measure the volume it displaces per rotation. Then multiply that by the rotational speed. We did this for our drysump and then tested the actual flow. The actual flow was very close to the predicted flow.

GTmule
01-23-2005, 12:07 PM
Yeah, since oil is "incompresible" the pressure change wouldn't mess ya up. I'km not sure how you'd measure the volume, mabye scan the rotor and housing, and make a cad model.....? (assuming you didn't have a buncha fancy volume measuring equipment)

osubeaver
01-23-2005, 04:43 PM
Yeah, that's what we did. I just made a Pro E model and had it calculate the volume. I used calipers to get the measurements and approximated some of the dimensions.

Bazanaius
12-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Hi guys,

I had this same idea for our R6 engine, and we had the sump off the other day to scope out the current wet oil setup as we're looking to move towards a dry setup. Unfortunately I didn't have time to get the pump off and have a look before we had to put the engine back in the car for some testing we had planned.

Given that the engine is unlikely to come out of the car again before the new year, I wonder if anyone could do me a massive favour and pass on their measurements of the pump? I'd be interested to do the CAD and flow rate calcs myself.

I know this thread is a bit old, but hopefully someone has done something similar since.

cheers,

Baz