PDA

View Full Version : International Shipping

Nick H
07-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Hi everyone,

We are attending the FSAE-Italy event coming up in september, but we still haven't been able to secure a reliable/cost effective shipper to ship our crate. I was wondering if you guys could recommend companies you have used successfully to take your Formula cars overseas.

If it matters, we are shipping from LAX (Los Angeles, CA) to Prato, Italy. Our crate dimensions are 10'x4'x4.5'

Thanks for the help,

Nick

Cal Poly Pomona
Formula Racing

Nick H
07-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Hi everyone,

We are attending the FSAE-Italy event coming up in september, but we still haven't been able to secure a reliable/cost effective shipper to ship our crate. I was wondering if you guys could recommend companies you have used successfully to take your Formula cars overseas.

If it matters, we are shipping from LAX (Los Angeles, CA) to Prato, Italy. Our crate dimensions are 10'x4'x4.5'

Thanks for the help,

Nick

Cal Poly Pomona
Formula Racing

BStoney
07-22-2007, 02:51 PM
Nick:

Try All Shore Forwarders (they ship automobiles typically, but we used them to ship to the UK event without any issues, and customs was a breeze through them...)

Or...TNT Freight Forwarders.

Also, consider shipping without an engine installed, as then you do not have to ship the crate as a class 9 dangerous good...it becomes just a normal shipment then for the most part. Ship your engine separate as the CL9 DG, and possibly, you'll get a hell of a better rate...

My .02...

Zanini
07-23-2007, 02:51 PM
Toronto has never had to dismantle our vehicle to ship international nor have we had a hazard labelling.

All we have been required to do is drain all fluids and disconnect the battery. Fluids then need to be bought in the country you are travelling to but that is easy to do.

Some notes
1) Shipping by ocean causes a lot of rust and/or mold to grow.
2) Crates used for shipping have specific standards especially made out of wood.

We use ABCO/Cole. they have a number of locations and companies who they work with worldwide. www.abcofreight.com (http://www.abcofreight.com)

As we don't need to dismantle the car, little has to be done to get it up and running for competition. This year at Formula Student we had the car running after a few hours .

Need more info about ABCO send an email to uoftracing@hotmail.com

Erick Scarpone
07-23-2007, 03:04 PM
Well my only recomendation is since is your first year contact FEDEX, not UPS not DHL not anyone else ou car didnt make it becouse of paper work problem back in 06.

I would call them at least to talk to someone to guide me and see if any other freighter is telling me things that are on the right track

Hope this helps

Ian McMurdo
07-24-2007, 12:32 AM
There is a guy named John Deller who has shipped a number of cars for SAE teams in the past. If you search for that name on this forum you will find some info on him, possibly contact info too. There have been mixed reviews, but I think in the end everyone got their car to where it needed to be in time. He shipped our car to England in 2005, and was very professional on the way there, but not so professional on the way back.