PDA

View Full Version : Confused between QUAIFE HONDA CIVIC ATB and TORSEN T1

stealth
07-10-2008, 01:08 AM
Hello everyone,
I am a bit confused between QUAIFE HONDA CIVIC ATB and TORSEN T1 as both are gear based.
Can anyone point out the major cons and pros.
And also has anyone encountered with a problem with these differentials?
Thank you all.

stealth
07-10-2008, 01:08 AM
Hello everyone,
I am a bit confused between QUAIFE HONDA CIVIC ATB and TORSEN T1 as both are gear based.
Can anyone point out the major cons and pros.
And also has anyone encountered with a problem with these differentials?
Thank you all.

Drew Price
07-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Obviously the output splines from the side gears are different, and the housing size will be different. Both must be put into some sort of housing that you design to retain the lubricant and seal the unit.

I believe the operating principles are very similar, the Torsen has three pairs of outer gears, I believe from the pictures of the Quaife I have seen it has 5 pairs. Both have been used, both will easily handle the power of the FSAE car unless you do something objectionable to it.

Lots of info on the Torsen Traction website under the FSAE FAQ tab, http://www.torsen.com/fsae/fsaefaqframes.htm

Best,
Drew

AlexS
07-11-2008, 05:20 PM
a new type 1 torsen fsae special would be good value, although we had issues with pulling big one-spinners when the inside wheel lifted or got loose when cornering/during skidpad.

Composites Guy
07-13-2008, 12:49 PM
By Torsen T1 I assume that you mean the "university special diff" at the link given above by Drew Price. This differential features a cage holding exposed gears. The gears need to be lubricated so you will need to make a housing to contain the lubricant. This housing, seals, and perhaps a vent (to allow heat induced expansion) are a source of difficulty for many teams. If your diff leaks you can be disqualified, or it can lead to premature diff failure. The torsen does not have a convenient bolt ring for attaching a sprocket. Students have devised many ways to attach a sprocket, from drilling the cage, to adapting some existing bolt holes, to making a new cage altogether.

The Quaife Civic ATB is a solid housing (you can't see the gears). It has grease fittings all around and is meant to be packed with grease. So you do not need to make a seperate housing. However the Quaife diff IS NOT FULLY SEALED. The grease will come out of helical cut gears between the axles and the housing. You can pretty easily seal it though as I have outlined elsewhere on this forum. The Quaife has a convenient bolt ring for attaching a sprocket.

Both the Torsen and the Quaife perform similarly under operation. The Quaife is a bit more expensive (you can ask for the FSAE discount), and it is also more heavy (assuming that you are comparring with an aluminum, homemade housing for the Torsen). However, I believe that eliminating the need to make a housing makes the Quaife a bit of an easier solution for a first-year FSAE team.

Obviously FSAE has evolved to the point where weight is a major factor. Running the Quaife or the Torsen University special (with an aluminum housing surrounding the stock unit) are both heavy solutions. This has led to teams making their own sealed cage to hold the gears which also acts as the liquid-containing housing. In such devices, basically only the gears are used from the stock part. This is probably not an advisable solution for a first-year team, as such homemade devices need extra time, precise machining and testing to assure reliability (resourses that could be put to better use elsewhere on the car). Taylor-Race/Taggart Product Engineering make such a lightweight aftermarket housing for the Quaife, but it is VERY expensive.

stealth
07-20-2008, 12:04 AM
Thank you all... http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

stealth
07-29-2008, 10:55 PM
"The Quaife is a bit more expensive (you can ask for the FSAE discount)"

Do they provide the discounts?If yes please tell me how to go about.I ll be very thankful.

How about difference in TBR?

stealth
07-29-2008, 11:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I believe the operating principles are very similar, the Torsen has three pairs of outer gears, I believe from the pictures of the Quaife I have seen it has 5 pairs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why is quaife using 5 pairs(thus increasing its weight)and torsen only 3 pairs to operate on same principle?
How does it affect the performance?

Composites Guy
07-30-2008, 07:08 AM
Call the manufacturer with your questions.