PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Research

BC
11-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Hey I was wondering if anyone knew where i could find catalogs and information on different types of carbon fiber that would be useful for making the body.

BC
11-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Hey I was wondering if anyone knew where i could find catalogs and information on different types of carbon fiber that would be useful for making the body.

SamB
11-02-2008, 04:35 AM
You need to decide what method you want first. Are you a big university? If you have access to an autoclave you can use pre-impregnated carbon fibre which would save farting around with resin, but if you dont you will have to look at either resin infusion or wet layup. Last year we tried wet layup but didnt get the finish we needed to have bare carbon on display. Take a look at resin infusion method, its what I'd reccommend and what we're using this year. Also, many companies will offer you free bagging materials so you save a lot of money and still get a good finish.

Theres a haynes guide to composites which I can reccommend from experience but try and get it from a library before to see if its at the level you need.

Hope this helps!

Rob Klyver
11-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Start with budget and load stress analysis then think prepregs Shameless plug: my classes can teach you enough to get started on real world choices of materials.