PDA

View Full Version : aurora bearings

carmaxxx
02-01-2007, 09:30 AM
i was just browsing through the CAD database of Aurora Bearings, and i'm really confused as to which bearing to choose (out of the thousands that are there).

We have decided on either 3/8" or 5/16" for the lower wishbone, inboard side, and sphericals for the outboard side. Which of the innumerably series of bearings should i choose and on what basis?

they all have roundabout the same load capacity for a given dimension.

damonlemmon
02-01-2007, 12:08 PM
we run outboard- spherical bearings HAB series (1/4" and 5/15") and inboard- rod ends (5/16") from the AM series with 1/4" hardware (pressed in high misalignment spacers). Be sure of your load calculations though and figure out what you want your FOS to be (think fatigue and cyclic loading) since wheels work better when they stay on the car.

Brian Evans
02-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Here is an interesting discussion on sphericals and rod ends. Steve Lathrop and Kieth Averill have been in the race car business for probably over 20 years each, Steve build the Citation formula cars.
http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20931
Brian

fade
02-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Which of the innumerably series of bearings should i choose and on what basis?

thats where you come in. Im sure you had a project where you had to come up with performance criteria to rank different designs. Same process should apply here.

Wizard
02-01-2007, 06:38 PM
A recent SAE paper just came out on spherical bearings. It was a great paper, but I don't recall the title or #. I am sure a quick search on sae.org would find it. It is a recent paper, 2006 from Cornell. Its in the 06' motorsports conference book if I remember correctly.

Eric