PDA

View Full Version : need help

dbbob1987
05-05-2007, 11:34 PM
hey everyone got a question to help solve a problem on our sae car. Tried fitting wheels on it today and found out the rear part of our lower control arm rubs against the inner corner of the wheel when turning. I was wondering if anyone found some good ways to space the wheels out and compensate for suspension geometry changes. please let me know http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

dbbob1987
05-05-2007, 11:34 PM
hey everyone got a question to help solve a problem on our sae car. Tried fitting wheels on it today and found out the rear part of our lower control arm rubs against the inner corner of the wheel when turning. I was wondering if anyone found some good ways to space the wheels out and compensate for suspension geometry changes. please let me know http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

begreer
05-06-2007, 06:20 AM
big washers

dbbob1987
05-06-2007, 08:04 AM
we're trying that now but id also like to know how anyone compensated for scrub radius changes and whatnot

Marshall Grice
05-06-2007, 11:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">id also like to know how anyone compensated for scrub radius changes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

uh...use more muscle turning the wheel?

why didn't you just change the steering stops so that the wheel wouldn't hit the a arm anymore?

Quinn
05-06-2007, 01:11 PM
We found the very same problem before we started cutting our uprights and it was back to the drawing board to move the control arm up and narrow it up.

You might consider a control arm that is clearance for the wheel or combo with said control arm and wheelspacers. With the use of wheel spacers you are not going to get a way from a scrub radius change.

Laurence
05-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Beware of the washers, they seem like a good quick fix. However, depending on your exact hub wheel arrangment you will more than likly end up damaging wheel centres, due to the reduced area that the lateral forces are spread over. I cant mention the specific team that this happened to but it did happen and it was bad. Lets just say aswell as destroying the wheel centre , the wheel also developed an unhealthy taste for brake calipers.

Schumi_Jr
05-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Its really unfortunate when situations like that happen but they happen to everyone. You need to consider that at this point any little compromise in suspension geometry will be less detrimental than limiting your test time before the competition. If your wheel studs are long enough why don't you try making an aluminum spacer that fits between your hub and wheel. Attatch it to the wheel with some #8 countersunk cap screws.

dbbob1987
05-06-2007, 09:01 PM
actally so far we managed to come up with a spacer adapter for the hub and balljoints which seems to be holding up well. The suspension geometry changes also seem to have been reduced as well

Kurt Bilinski
05-07-2007, 08:30 AM
This is the best approach, considering how little time you have. A spacer that spreads the wheel center force over its full face, instead of concentrating it around the studs only.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Schumi_Jr:
Its really unfortunate when situations like that happen but they happen to everyone. You need to consider that at this point any little compromise in suspension geometry will be less detrimental than limiting your test time before the competition. If your wheel studs are long enough why don't you try making an aluminum spacer that fits between your hub and wheel. Attatch it to the wheel with some #8 countersunk cap screws. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>