PDA

View Full Version : radiator position

prat
04-09-2006, 02:11 AM
can anybody suggest the proper angles for mounting the radiator onto the chassis. and is the radiator preffered behind the driver

prat
04-09-2006, 02:11 AM
can anybody suggest the proper angles for mounting the radiator onto the chassis. and is the radiator preffered behind the driver

Nima
04-09-2006, 07:47 AM
it is clear that if the radiator be perpendicular to the air flow, it is make the maximum efficiency... but in the formula car the air that recived to the radiator is confused, because of the tyre position and other aerodynamcs elements...
fsae radiator must have a fan... because if the car stay resident, your radiator will not recive any air flow... so it is may not important what is the radiator angle... but its position may be important...
in the following links you can find out more...
http://eprints.usq.edu.au/archive/00000054/
http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/125607348/m/6746055451

Garlic
04-09-2006, 08:50 PM
Don't you have anything better to do? Give the guy a break, I bet you couldn't even start to speak his language.

SpdRcr
04-09-2006, 09:29 PM
http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

VFR750R
04-10-2006, 07:50 PM
I know it would be Crazy to think of more then one thing at a time (oh my gosh no), but don't forget about center of gravity and front/rear weight bias, and if the radiator goes there...where does the fuel tank go? This is too complicated, i think i'll ask someone to engineer my car for me.

Bill Kunst
04-10-2006, 08:50 PM
OK,
Here's one, look in the two other posts that can be found within the first page of topics. For those that replied with actual comment to this question, BOOOOO. We should all know better. Also, if you don't want to answer because you find anyone's questions juvenile, or rediculous, don't. At this point in the game, I am sure that most of you have better things to do (like build a car). Leave the rediculous answers to alumni.

Duwe- For someone that has berated me for not being of any help, you sure act ignorant towards other people. You also forget the most important part of the angling of the radiator. HELLO, maybe the air takes the path of least resistance, up and over the radiator rather than through the cores (when angled, of course). Ducting in and out helps in any location, and we should all know this. God, talk about juvenile.

VFR750R
04-11-2006, 07:19 PM
yea alumni

drivetrainUW-Platt
04-11-2006, 08:45 PM
there I removed my rant.....I just dont like it when people come on here to ask other ppl to design there work, I think the good questions are people that have already done some research and ask for opinions or changes, not how do i do this from scratch....

PatClarke
04-13-2006, 04:39 AM
Prat,
Thats an unfortunate choice of handle and you might want to change it ;-)

Take a step back and think about the problem.

Air flows from a higher pressure zone to a low pressure zone, and does this better when it is ducted.
A fan in the duct may help
As air expands in the radiator core strange things happen to the airflow.
A radiator full of water, its mountings and hoses weighes several kilogrammes and so has a very significant effect on CoG position, and therefore on handling.
Hot radiators and hoses full of hot water can be injurious to the drivers health, and there are rules about this stuff.
Water boils at 100 degrees C, and that boiling point can be raised by increasing the pressure in the cooling system.
Pressure in the cooling system can blow hoses off and the hot water scalds the driver just before the engine seizes.

Now, go do the math on how much heat you need to shed and go design your cooling system! Thats what FSAE is all about! Do a good job and the judges will love it.
Regards
Pat Clarke