PDA

View Full Version : LWB-SWB ?

buggaero
08-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Why would a formula type race car with an RMR have an unusually long wheelbase. I'v tried my bit, but not getting an authentic reason.
except that : Short is going to be more responsive and the long is going to be more forgiving.

have a look

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wi...Coimbatore_Track.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dd/Formula_Maruti_in_Coimbatore_Track.jpg)

These are formula type race cars already using an M800cc/F8B type engines which is an iron cast.
Maybe this provides more room for legs allowing the weight bias to be improved by a farther distributed front weight.

MalcolmG
08-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Jeez that roll hoop doesn't look like it would do much. Not to mention the complete lack of a headrest means you'd probably get some decent neck injuries in even a low speed impact, that thing looks like a complete death trap

I'm not sure what that particular car is designed for, but some of the advantages of a long wheelbase are:
- Less longitudinal weight transfer when braking
- Greater high speed stability (I wouldn't want to take any of the 1525mm wheelbase cars our team made around a full sized racetrack)
- Able to generate greater yaw moments (unfortunately the increased yaw damping and inertia means you probably don't get better yaw rates or acceleration)
- As you mentioned, it may assist in achieving a more desirable weight distribution
- In virtually all race classes you are required to have the driver's feet behind the front axle (although in that picture it doesn't look like meeting rules or safety guidelines have been a big concern)
- Larger floor area for an aerodynamic undertray (again, obviously not the case for the car that picture)

There was a thread on here recently discussing (I think) Maryland's relatively long wheelbase FSAE car.

thewoundedsoldier
08-04-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm not visualizing how that radiator works. And why the rain tires on a sunny day? Was it typhoon season?

The thread on Maryland's car was titled "Track differences case study".

Zac
08-04-2010, 05:34 PM
that's the radiator exit you're seeing. if you google image search FISSME you'll find some better pictures.

I'm guessing that the street tires are due to JK Tyres involvement. They're one of, if not the largest Indian tire companies, but I doubt they make a legitimate race tire.

Drew Price
08-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by thewoundedsoldier:
And why the rain tires on a sunny day? Was it typhoon season?

It's a Thai open-wheeled rally car, obv.

Best,
Drew

buggaero
08-05-2010, 10:21 PM
It is FISSME

Formula India Single Seater (with a) Maruti Engine.

It's a low category but been there for quite a while now. like 25 years.

buggaero
08-06-2010, 09:07 PM
[quote]I've driven our teams formula car in excess of 120 kph, and i would never even imagine these cars racing that fast. The cars would be EXTREMELY twitchy, or would have to grow in size to compensate for that.[\quote]

I'm quoting Dash from the SUPRA SAEINDIA thread,

This strikes as a probable reason for an unusually long wheelbase...LWB

But considering the fact that a 140kg engine setup as MR transverse, this would give a shit bias and anything done to overcome the heavy oversteer should also itself bring down the twitchiness of it... ALSO.. The Supra Car i'm talking about is going to be around 150kgs heavier than a 600cc one ..overall. So the point of it being twitchy at highspeed maneuvers still remains doubtful.

thewoundedsoldier
08-07-2010, 01:13 AM
Making a car heavy does not make it stable at high speeds. I would argue that the heavier the car, the more dangerous it is because the braking force takes a polynomial curve with increasing weight.

I think twitchiness comes from compliance and that ain't going away just because you are heavy. It will get worse.

Am I wrong?

buggaero
08-07-2010, 07:25 AM
i would say a longer wheelbase would cut down twitchiness and the heavy car that's there in the pic has a long wheelbase. Longer than the 600cc version.
So i'm gonna say it kind of works...and also the physics defines a heavier object in motion is more difficult to jerk off it's straight line motion. Longer wheelbase is only going to add to add to it.

Mike Cook
08-08-2010, 06:02 PM
I think Malcom hits on most the reasons for a longer wheelbase. Most of those points are debatable.