PDA

View Full Version : Mounting fuel tank outside the side safety structure?

nicks94tbirdsc
09-17-2005, 08:55 PM
The rule 3.5.3.9 specifies that if the fuel tank is located outside the side safety structure must be covered by the same rules. Does this mean that the bars need to connect from the main hoop to the front hoop? Or does this mean we can basically attach a box to the side of the car that has bars at all the proper heights and diagonalization specified? Thanks for any clarification. I havent seen any pictures of cars with this done so I dont have much to go off of. Thanks for any help.

nicks94tbirdsc
09-17-2005, 08:55 PM
The rule 3.5.3.9 specifies that if the fuel tank is located outside the side safety structure must be covered by the same rules. Does this mean that the bars need to connect from the main hoop to the front hoop? Or does this mean we can basically attach a box to the side of the car that has bars at all the proper heights and diagonalization specified? Thanks for any clarification. I havent seen any pictures of cars with this done so I dont have much to go off of. Thanks for any help.

Rob.C
09-18-2005, 02:02 AM
we had a tank that the filler neck protruded outside the main safety structure a few years ago, i believe it was our 2001 car, at the time we had to enclose it within the safety structure at comp, but the material used was a little shady to say the least, however, now i think it means that you have to enclose it using the same spec material that is defined in the side impact regulations.

hope that helped!