PDA

View Full Version : Track Widths

Goyds
02-13-2012, 07:21 PM
G'day Everyone

Firstly let me say i'm stoaked with the help i'm getting. Team Swinburne has been around for a long time but we seem to have lost most of our useful knowledge when we transitioned to electric and most of our old petrol boys threw a hissy fit and left.

I know there are a few discussions around track widths. But in this one i'm curious how people decided on their track width. I saw a post on power earlier, that mentioned that a team uses a 48/44 track i presume this is inches and the forum said this was small . If this is the case then its about the same as our electic car which was a barge compared to every other car in the Aussie comp this year.

It seems to me a smaller track is better (within limits) as that means you effectively do not have to swerve as far to get around cones, but if you go too far then your weight transfer becomes too large.

So i suspose my question is what tracks do people use and how do you justify it. I'm expecting track sims etc, but how, excel, lapsim etc...?

Cheers

Lloyd Morrissey
Chief Engineer
Team Swinburne 2012

Goyds
02-13-2012, 07:21 PM
G'day Everyone

Firstly let me say i'm stoaked with the help i'm getting. Team Swinburne has been around for a long time but we seem to have lost most of our useful knowledge when we transitioned to electric and most of our old petrol boys threw a hissy fit and left.

I know there are a few discussions around track widths. But in this one i'm curious how people decided on their track width. I saw a post on power earlier, that mentioned that a team uses a 48/44 track i presume this is inches and the forum said this was small . If this is the case then its about the same as our electic car which was a barge compared to every other car in the Aussie comp this year.

It seems to me a smaller track is better (within limits) as that means you effectively do not have to swerve as far to get around cones, but if you go too far then your weight transfer becomes too large.

So i suspose my question is what tracks do people use and how do you justify it. I'm expecting track sims etc, but how, excel, lapsim etc...?

Cheers

Lloyd Morrissey
Chief Engineer
Team Swinburne 2012