PDA

View Full Version : does anyone have a torsen differential housing for sale?

incognito
12-20-2004, 06:47 PM
hi everyone,

the differential in question is the Torsen T1 012000. I am looking for the cast iron housing (i have a fetish for all things heavy haha). Anyway if you do have one and wish to rid of it, please leave your email and i will contact you. Thanks

incognito
12-20-2004, 06:47 PM
hi everyone,

the differential in question is the Torsen T1 012000. I am looking for the cast iron housing (i have a fetish for all things heavy haha). Anyway if you do have one and wish to rid of it, please leave your email and i will contact you. Thanks

Foote
12-20-2004, 06:55 PM
I just happen to have a spare cast iron torsen housing from a 012000. If you were to buy it from an audi dealership, it would be 500. If you were to buy the whole diff from torsen traction, it would be about 400 (with the gears), lets say half that is housing, so 200. I'll sell you ours for $100, after i get mine machined and tested.
maybe two or three weeks

-Might i also ask what kind of car you are building? You're getting a steel, unlightened rear sprocket attached to a cast iron differential?
You know an old studebaker was advertised with more road hugging weight.
"There's so much soft-sprung, road-hugging weight behind you in this Studebaker it rides with a dream-like new sensation of ease and comfort."

incognito
12-20-2004, 10:34 PM
hi Justin,

thanks for the offer. Please give me a week to consider. Are you able to provide your email so that i can contact you?

Foote
12-21-2004, 03:41 AM
I think my email is on my profile, but it is justinfoote@avrotec.com

rjwoods77
12-21-2004, 07:13 AM
We have a couple laying around. I have to see if they are the right kind. What are the identifying features that it is the type you need. We will dump them for cheap if we have them. Diffs suck. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Denny Trimble
12-21-2004, 09:55 AM
If you get rid of the housing, I'll take the guts, if they're the current university special type.

We're about half-way done making our first aluminum housing. We have gears for one, but we'd like to make two just in case...

-Denny

incognito
12-21-2004, 11:33 PM
how do you guys make your own Alum housing... i know its possible (becos i have seen it) but with what? a thousand axis milling maching? Its got to be a double piece right? has anyone made it out of a single block of AL?

thanks rob for your offer

jack
12-22-2004, 12:11 AM
..actually it only takes a 4 axis http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

i haven't figured out a way to make it out of one piece that will allow it to seal, and still be time-able, but i'm not the smartest one to ever hit my head against a computer screen...

Denny Trimble
12-22-2004, 12:19 AM
Actually we're making it on a 3-axis, with the drive dowel holes as our indexing features (conveniently spaced at 120 degrees). It's the world's slowest 4th-axis... as fast as Travis can take it apart and reassemble it http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The structure this year is a single piece, plus steel inserts for thrust surfaces and a separate cover 'sheath'. One of our sophomores, not even in ME yet, designed it. Pretty cool. You'll have to wait for pics http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

James Waltman
12-22-2004, 01:42 AM
The guy that designed our diff last year was a sophomore and none of us are ME students. I think it went to the guy's head though because he is a real pain. His name is Jack.

Nicholas
12-22-2004, 03:32 PM
I think I've reached the limit on modifying the Torsen cast iron housing, and I'm thinking about going all aluminum.

In the past we've used a pair of deep-groove ball bearings to support the output shafts, but it seems like it will be very difficult to make the bearing surfaces on the inside.

Any help, or do other teams support the stub shafts differently?

Thanks

Charlie
12-22-2004, 04:28 PM
In 2003 our drivetrain leader made our first aluminum housing out of a single piece and did it all manually on a standard Bridgeport with an indexing head. Initial and final prep on a manual lathe. Yes I did not believe that he could do it. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

http://www.eng.auburn.edu/organizations/SAE/AUFSAE/03diff1.jpg

Our 2004 diff was more complex and integrated parts, etc. It was CNC'd by a sponsor. We have no CNC access at the university. Work with the tools you have...

Foote
12-22-2004, 04:49 PM
our diff this year is going to be a single piece. I'm not really sure why anyone would do otherwise. It's actually a very simple cnc program, just one pocket, then two pretty accurate holes done seperately. stock cutting and finish work on a lathe.
I've gotten our housing this year down to 1.7 lbs, i think probably one of the lightest, and it should also be very stiff.
we'll see.

jack
12-22-2004, 05:41 PM
i was thinking of making a diff that is one piece--without a seperate cover. i'm pretty sure its impossible though...

good thing i'm not doing the drivetrian this year, now i wont be able to screw the car up! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Underthefloor
12-23-2004, 01:57 AM
For those of you who made your own alluminum housing: do you use some kind of bushing for the element gear axels or do you let them rub against the aluminum?

Nicholas
12-23-2004, 06:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Foote:
I'm not really sure why anyone would do otherwise. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Justin, I was thinking for ease of manufacture, because we only have 3 axis CNC

Nate Notta
12-24-2004, 08:21 AM
On the topic of diffs... last year we ran a Torsen w/ aluminum housing, and braked on the sprocket. Everything was A-ok.
This year it looks like we're using the Honda ATV limited slip diff, because it's so light... But the torsen is from a Quattro, and the Honda is from a 4 wheeler, there is probably a significant strength difference. What do you guys think of inboard braking with the new, smaller diff? Too much torque to put through it?

Nicholas
12-24-2004, 10:03 AM
For those that made aluminum Torsen University Special housings, did you put steel inserts / washers at any or all of the contact surfaces, and did you make any provisions for preventing their rotation?

Tony K
12-27-2004, 07:50 PM
Our aluminum torsen housings haven't had provisions for washers in the past, which I always thought was a bad idea, but I recently pulled the differential apart for some routine maintenance and found it isn't wearing all that bad. Granted, if it was going into a production car there would need to be some sort of washer or bearing, but for the limited use our car sees, the amount of machining the gears do to the housing is very minimal.

jack
12-27-2004, 09:48 PM
we used steel thrust plates for the element gears to rub on. i was also wondering if others did this. so at comp last year i asked at least half a dozen other teams if they had steel plates and everyone said yes.

Foote
12-29-2004, 06:57 PM
A fourth axis machine is not neccessary to make a diff with no cap. I believe Travis at UW is woring on one right now. He's using the drive pins to locate and fixture it, and rotating by hand in between operations. It's actually pretty simple.