PDA

View Full Version : MoTeC M400 Serial Data

obnauticus
06-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Hello,

I am in the process of documenting and designing a DAQ system for my team's formula car. At the moment I'm in the process of writing a piece of software which parses the raw RS232 serial data from our MoTeC M400 ECU (we have an M4 too) and gets logged and put into a mySQL database (at a remote station after going through some telemetry/microwave magic, I already have all the radio system designed so that's the trivial part). In the future I will add support for CAN, but right now I'm sticking to what I'm comfortable with (RS232 is generally easier to work with than CAN in my opinion).

I have the whole RS232 protocol specification. For anyone else who is wondering (I've seen this question in other places online), if you ask MoTeC they'll give the specifications to you, just need to ask for/google the following two documents:

"PSAU0005 CRC32 Data Protocol"
"PSAU0015 MoTeC M800 Set 3 Data Protocol"

Question:

Unfortunately this summer it is difficult for me to test and validate designs without a MoTeC ECU at hand (im in Washington for the summer and the ECU's are at Purdue in Indiana). At this point in time I am wondering if anyone here has a raw dump (it will all be gibberish binary information) of the RS232 data from the an M4/M8 M400 or M800 ECU (preferably the M400 or M800), or would be willing to gather the data and email it. I need this so I can write a MoTeC "data simulator" and also to verify their protocol specification documentation is accurate. The simulator will generate "random" ECU data using the MoTeC RS232 protocol and this enables me to write software as if I had the ECU right next to me. This will remove the necessity to have an ECU in order to test and validate any DAQ design you want to make. Also, I will post an update here with the script which parses and packages the data for transport (reliable enough for use in inherently volatile radio systems) for anyone else who wants to use it to build their own DAQ system using a MoTeC ECU. If you are willing to help and need instructions getting the (raw) serial stream from the ECU, just reply and I'll write up a quick procedure.

Edit:

For those who may be wondering in the future, my Data Acquisition system (DAQuiri) project will be documented here (http://obnauticus.com/projects/daquiri) and will be updated throughout the year.

Thanks in advance,

obnauticus
06-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Hello,

I am in the process of documenting and designing a DAQ system for my team's formula car. At the moment I'm in the process of writing a piece of software which parses the raw RS232 serial data from our MoTeC M400 ECU (we have an M4 too) and gets logged and put into a mySQL database (at a remote station after going through some telemetry/microwave magic, I already have all the radio system designed so that's the trivial part). In the future I will add support for CAN, but right now I'm sticking to what I'm comfortable with (RS232 is generally easier to work with than CAN in my opinion).

I have the whole RS232 protocol specification. For anyone else who is wondering (I've seen this question in other places online), if you ask MoTeC they'll give the specifications to you, just need to ask for/google the following two documents:

"PSAU0005 CRC32 Data Protocol"
"PSAU0015 MoTeC M800 Set 3 Data Protocol"

Question:

Unfortunately this summer it is difficult for me to test and validate designs without a MoTeC ECU at hand (im in Washington for the summer and the ECU's are at Purdue in Indiana). At this point in time I am wondering if anyone here has a raw dump (it will all be gibberish binary information) of the RS232 data from the an M4/M8 M400 or M800 ECU (preferably the M400 or M800), or would be willing to gather the data and email it. I need this so I can write a MoTeC "data simulator" and also to verify their protocol specification documentation is accurate. The simulator will generate "random" ECU data using the MoTeC RS232 protocol and this enables me to write software as if I had the ECU right next to me. This will remove the necessity to have an ECU in order to test and validate any DAQ design you want to make. Also, I will post an update here with the script which parses and packages the data for transport (reliable enough for use in inherently volatile radio systems) for anyone else who wants to use it to build their own DAQ system using a MoTeC ECU. If you are willing to help and need instructions getting the (raw) serial stream from the ECU, just reply and I'll write up a quick procedure.

Edit:

For those who may be wondering in the future, my Data Acquisition system (DAQuiri) project will be documented here (http://obnauticus.com/projects/daquiri) and will be updated throughout the year.

Thanks in advance,

wagemd
06-27-2011, 07:48 AM
We have a couple of files you could have. You know how to reach me...

obnauticus
06-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Lol alright Danial, I'll just email you then.

I'm going to start a page on my site for all of this info because a lot of it ambiguous and sparsely documented.

--

Also -- Brian told me that you were probably the best person to talk to so I guess it's pretty funny you'd be the one to reply. I'll try to make it up to UW this summer (mine ends in mid August) with Brian to test some stuff and see what you guys are up to.