PDA

View Full Version : Front Roll Hoop Question

Nate
02-03-2005, 12:51 PM
Two questions:

1. What front roll hoop height (from base of frame to the top of the front roll hoop) are you guys running on your formula car? I'm actually looking for minimums and maximums because I think we may be at one of those extremes. I know there are many variables in terms of ergonomics, but any height would be helpful.

2. Does the front roll hoop have to be all one piece like the main roll hoop? I'm trying to interpret rule 3.3.4.3 and it sounds like it doesn't need to be one piece?

Nate
02-03-2005, 12:51 PM
Two questions:

1. What front roll hoop height (from base of frame to the top of the front roll hoop) are you guys running on your formula car? I'm actually looking for minimums and maximums because I think we may be at one of those extremes. I know there are many variables in terms of ergonomics, but any height would be helpful.

2. Does the front roll hoop have to be all one piece like the main roll hoop? I'm trying to interpret rule 3.3.4.3 and it sounds like it doesn't need to be one piece?

Lyn Labahn UW-Madison
02-03-2005, 12:59 PM
Nate,

I know you want just baselines but the most critical thing you must realize is that the front rollhoop height can change drastically depending on how high you main hoop is, and where you driver sits! Just for reference, on our 2004 car we had the front rollhoop bottom at ride height and it was 21 inches tall I believe. The driver was just slightly recessed into the main hoop.

The front roll hoop does not have to be bent out of one continuous peice of material. You will have to add gussets or something if you end up welding it our of two or more peices. They don't really specify exactly what you have to do its one of those gray areas. Whatever you do end up doing, make sure you have some calcs to back it up in case a judge sees it and starts harassing you about safety.

buggaero
02-19-2012, 04:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lyn Labahn UW-Madison:
Nate,

I know you want just baselines but the most critical thing you must realize is that the front rollhoop height can change drastically depending on how high you main hoop is, and where you driver sits! Just for reference, on our 2004 car we had the front rollhoop bottom at ride height and it was 21 inches tall I believe. The driver was just slightly recessed into the main hoop.

The front roll hoop does not have to be bent out of one continuous peice of material. You will have to add gussets or something if you end up welding it our of two or more peices. They don't really specify exactly what you have to do its one of those gray areas. Whatever you do end up doing, make sure you have some calcs to back it up in case a judge sees it and starts harassing you about safety. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the two welded pieces aligned to each other at some angle, aggravates the situation further???

shark.ashwa
02-19-2012, 08:57 PM
On a 1" OD, 0.095" thick pipe, I dont think it should matter....
But that is something that your load paths and maybe FEA can decide. We did not have any problems with ours the previous year.....

Sharath

buggaero
02-20-2012, 01:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shark.ashwa:
On a 1" OD, 0.095" thick pipe, I dont think it should matter....
But that is something that your load paths and maybe FEA can decide. We did not have any problems with ours the previous year.....

Sharath </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah.. i felt the same way too. Though i have put up a mail for the same to katklauz and even rossi (and still waiting for the replies ), i was wanting to hear about load paths anyways. Will work it out then. Thanks!