PDA

View Full Version : Upright suspension

samuel
01-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Hi guys and girls. I am curently in second year mechanical engineering in liverpool uk and we have a design coursework. We were required to design an upright and hub for a formula student car. As I am doing the claculations I still don't know what forces will apply on the upright.Please could someone give an idea and if you do not mind some formula as well. Thanks a lot guy
Samuel

samuel
01-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Hi guys and girls. I am curently in second year mechanical engineering in liverpool uk and we have a design coursework. We were required to design an upright and hub for a formula student car. As I am doing the claculations I still don't know what forces will apply on the upright.Please could someone give an idea and if you do not mind some formula as well. Thanks a lot guy
Samuel

Grant Mahler
01-29-2008, 08:54 PM
If you are a second year, you should have taken Statics and Dynamics already, or are in dynamics now. Start with F=MA.

Michael Palaszynski
01-29-2008, 09:32 PM
Start with what you know (Or could estimate). How much does the car weight? What's you for-aft weight distribution? What kind of grip are you tires giving you? ....etc. there are many factors that contribute to this.

If you are unsure of what ballpark figures to give they criteria, then ask your formula team for some help.

Dave K
01-30-2008, 02:04 PM
I design the uprights for our car, and i just made a simple dynamics calculation. All i really needed was the location of the CG, and some assumptions for tire coefficients and cornering g's. I assumed full cornering weight transfer.