PDA

View Full Version : Structural

tmattosj
08-14-2008, 09:26 AM
Is necessary to realize the calculations (structure equivalency - sufficient area, modulus and material
properties) for the materials that them agree with the rule?

tmattosj
08-14-2008, 09:26 AM
Is necessary to realize the calculations (structure equivalency - sufficient area, modulus and material
properties) for the materials that them agree with the rule?

Drew Price
08-14-2008, 02:29 PM
If you are not deviating from, or are exceeding the minimum required geometry for the required structure, you do not have to submit a SEF for it, but it would be good to know those values for your own analysis.

Best,
Drew

Brian Perry
08-14-2008, 02:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Drew Price:
If you are not deviating from, or are exceeding the minimum required geometry for the required structure, you do not have to submit a SEF for it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, this is no longer the case. This was included in the Rule Changes.

3.3.2 SEF's SEF's will b required from ALL teams even if the team "has nothing to declare". There will also be penalties for late submission.

benjo
08-18-2008, 12:32 AM
I'm not seeing that in my 2008 rules, section 3.3.2. Am I missing something here?

SNasello
08-18-2008, 05:21 AM
It is a rule change for 2009 but the exact definition is still unclear until they release the official rules.

D Collins Jr
08-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Preface: This is my assumption on the matter, and in no way represents anything remotely official.

As anyone who currently submits SEFs is aware, there is a portion of tech inspection where those are looked at and verified. Among other problems during tech inspection this year, I know that some SEFs were not even looked at during tech (for example, at Michigan). My presumption then is that in an effort to standardize the daunting process of teching teams at competition, every team will have an SEF form, and most will just say "Nothing to Declare". At least, I hope that's what happens.

BeaverGuy
08-18-2008, 06:47 PM
I wonder if they might make teams list the size of material that they used for the required structural members. It seems like there have been an increasing number of cases of teams having to add members at competition. This could help teams catch those mistakes before competition.

mangelikar
09-30-2008, 01:50 AM
hi i wanna know which is value about torsional stiffness for formula SAE allow, or range
thanks

L B0MB
09-30-2008, 01:59 AM
there is no minimum value of torsional stiffness for the vehicle required by the rules

as a guide for chassis design, aim for at least the value of roll stiffness of the suspension in Nm/degree

hint: our 06 car was very 'sloppy' at a measured 750Nm/deg