PDA

View Full Version : mounting the intake to the engine

chassisMAN!
06-05-2007, 10:03 AM
as it is my intake manifold is held in place quite rigidly. How imperative is it that the manifold be mounted and held to the engine(as per part of the tech inspection). the engine is solid mounted, so there really isnt any movement. for me, just looking at the car it would make much more sense to have a short 3" brkt to fasten this part securley to the roll hoop braces, rather than complicate matters and make some sort of contraption to hold it to the engine not quite as soundly. There is however 2" of silicone hose between the manifold and the OEM throttle bodies which connects the two pieces. picture a log style manifold.

chassisMAN!
06-05-2007, 10:03 AM
as it is my intake manifold is held in place quite rigidly. How imperative is it that the manifold be mounted and held to the engine(as per part of the tech inspection). the engine is solid mounted, so there really isnt any movement. for me, just looking at the car it would make much more sense to have a short 3" brkt to fasten this part securley to the roll hoop braces, rather than complicate matters and make some sort of contraption to hold it to the engine not quite as soundly. There is however 2" of silicone hose between the manifold and the OEM throttle bodies which connects the two pieces. picture a log style manifold.

Marshall Grice
06-05-2007, 10:44 AM
mounts connecting to the engine are required. chassis mounts are optional. you can run both if you want.

Dan Deussen @ Weber Motor
06-05-2007, 11:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marshall Grice:
mounts connecting to the engine are required. chassis mounts are optional. you can run both if you want. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mounting the intake to the engine only is the best way to go. The reason for not mounting the intake to the chassis tubes is that in certain cases chassis flex on some cars has caused the intake to pull off the engine which can of course be quite dangerous.

VFR750R
06-05-2007, 05:00 PM
I would imagine that is exactly why that rule exists. That and backfires can overcome hose clamps. Once the manifold comes loose on a MAP tuned car...hold on.

Jersey Tom
06-05-2007, 05:35 PM
But that just makes you go fast, right? http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Getting the firing order wrong can blow intakes off, but I've never seen that personally and you'd think if that happens the ECU is so far off there's no way its gonna really run. Oh well. Its probably a good idea overall.

Pete M
06-05-2007, 06:14 PM
You can have backfires from things other than incorrect firing order, such as really early pre-ignition. Not that we've ever encountered anything like that.

We've struggled to find an elegant way to meet that rule though. The engine just don't really have any good mounting points near the runners.

VFR750R
06-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Ha, advantage FZR/YZF. There's bolt holes on each intake flange for the stock carb boots. We can bolt directly to the engine, cleaner then anyone.

Maverik
06-05-2007, 11:21 PM
What? You guys afraid of a little drilling and tapping of the head? Haha, it's ok, me too...

Pete M
06-06-2007, 03:36 AM
Nah, it's more that we like the fact that our plenum/intercooler is rubber mounted.

BryanH
06-06-2007, 06:39 AM
A single stainless steel cable between runners 2 & 3 would be flexible and prevent the manifold from being pulled off. Look at marine hardware, very sexy stuff.