PDA

View Full Version : Antiroll systems

Keysmer
09-28-2005, 04:30 PM
I was wondering about the different options we have for an antiroll system. There are two systems I really don't understand.
-The first one is the damper link that UWA used between the rear bellcranks. If I didn't notice their kinetic-H2 system I could be sure that it increases roll instead of reduce it. Somebody knows how it works as an antiroll system?
D:\Fotos\IMG_7461
-The second is the called vane-type, that use a "T" that links the two front bellcranks, adds a third damper for antidive and makes the antiroll effect from a "vane". I can't explain were does the antiroll effect come from with a freebody diagram. Also it's not easy to analize the strains in the vane.
C:\Dibujo
Can I obtain the combined effect of antidive and antiroll from another different system?.
I appreciate your help.

Keysmer
09-28-2005, 04:30 PM
I was wondering about the different options we have for an antiroll system. There are two systems I really don't understand.
-The first one is the damper link that UWA used between the rear bellcranks. If I didn't notice their kinetic-H2 system I could be sure that it increases roll instead of reduce it. Somebody knows how it works as an antiroll system?
D:\Fotos\IMG_7461
-The second is the called vane-type, that use a "T" that links the two front bellcranks, adds a third damper for antidive and makes the antiroll effect from a "vane". I can't explain were does the antiroll effect come from with a freebody diagram. Also it's not easy to analize the strains in the vane.
C:\Dibujo
Can I obtain the combined effect of antidive and antiroll from another different system?.
I appreciate your help.

jack
09-28-2005, 04:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keysmer:
-The first one is the damper link that UWA used between the rear bellcranks. If I didn't notice their kinetic-H2 system I could be sure that it increases roll instead of reduce it. Somebody knows how it works as an antiroll system? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that is not for roll, its for pitch.

Nick McNaughton
09-28-2005, 07:20 PM
The simple explanation is something like this:
The spring you're referring to between the rockers doesn't act in roll, but does act in pitch. It's a mechanical way of separating which springs resist motion for two different motions. The Kinetic system works in a similar manner, except that is uses the way that the dampers are inter-connected to cause the system to use the accumulator spring in different ways. Hydraulically, it has poor leverage over the accumulator spring under roll motions and thus the roll motions cause a high stiffness response. However, under warp/one wheel bump mode, it has great leverage over the accumulator spring, to give a low stiffness response. The way the fluid flows either help each other or work against each other when dealing with the accumulator spring is the key to separating the modes.

The end result is that the car is stiff in roll, soft in warp and with the third springs is about typical in pitch/heave.

mtg
09-28-2005, 07:20 PM
The kinetics system stiffens roll and pitch (?), while allowing very low single wheel rates. Kevin, where are you, buddy?

The "third" spring attached to a T-bar ARB is a ride spring. It is similar in idea to the kinetics suspension (stiffer ride while allowing lower single wheel rates), except it only stiffens ride and not roll & pitch.

UWA had both the "third" spring and the kinetics, resulting in ridiculous low single wheel rates for grip over the landmine field called a racetrack up in Detroit. Its like having your cake and eating it too!

The "vane" ARB you mention is probably just a regular T-bar. The whole deal rotates without resistance in ride, whereas in roll the system is twisted, acting as a spring.

edit: maybe just skip reading my post, since Nick posted as I was typing