PDA

View Full Version : standat impact attenuator

russel
01-26-2011, 08:55 AM
does anyone have any idea whether what will be the marks awarding variation if we use use standard impact attenuator rather than a self designed and manufactured impact attenuator???

Russel

Dash
01-26-2011, 11:24 AM
You’ve got to be kidding me. Its been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It’s just common sense.

Spetsnazos
01-26-2011, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Dash:
You’ve got to be kidding me. Its been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It’s just common sense.

^Is this English or an intended troll post? I'm leaning toward trolling.

thewoundedsoldier
01-26-2011, 01:30 PM
dude that is the funniest thing ever.

win.

Big Mo
01-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Trolls trollin' trolls.

Dash
01-26-2011, 05:19 PM
It was definitely a troll post.

I got one hell of a laugh just posting it :P

russel
01-28-2011, 05:06 AM
Guys, return to the original thread.....is anyone seriously considering to use the standard attenuator? I mean. has someone found something pretty good (or bad) about it so far.

The cost being quoted($150) for the impact attenuator seems to be quit reasonable but the matter to worry about it is whether the judging criteria for a standard attenuator will be same as or different from that of a self designed one????.....

Russel

Dash
01-28-2011, 06:44 AM
I have seen no documentation to show that such a device even exists.

BrendonD
01-28-2011, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Dash:
I have seen no documentation to show that such a device even exists.

Exactly. I know Bill Riley posted about it being in development but that was the last I've heard about it.

Dash
01-28-2011, 07:57 AM
Also, in the other posts, I'm pretty sure Kettering University declared that it wasn't going to happen. Keep in mind that the attenuator testing info is due in approximately 30 days as well.

Spearchucker
01-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Get with the program

http://www.fsaeonline.com/Impact_Attenuator.htm

Dash
01-29-2011, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Spearchucker:
Get with the program

http://www.fsaeonline.com/Impact_Attenuator.htm

Why is this not on the students.sae.org website?!?!? Not that its my section, but our team just dumped about $450 to test an attenuator, and no doubt would they have just done this one if we had seen it....

BrendonD
01-29-2011, 09:20 PM
We already did our attenuator testing (wasn't planning on using the standard one) but I'm really surprised it's only posted there and not on the SAE site or these boards.

Ben K
01-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by BrendonD:
We already did our attenuator testing (wasn't planning on using the standard one) but I'm really surprised it's only posted there and not on the SAE site or these boards.

No chance we would have used the standard attenuator. It won't even fit on our frame. It is a bodywork/packaging nightmare.

ESaenz
02-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Silly question but is there anything against slight overhang? Our front hoop tapers from a 15" width to a 13" width (the approved ia measures 14" width)? I hope we won't have to buy two std ia's just to confirm that removing the slight overhang doesn't hurt it's performance.

Thiago Holz Schüler
02-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Is this http://www.fsaeonline.com/Impact_Attenuator.htm
the true standard impact attenuator, or is this just some sort of non approved pre model?

ccsurubino
02-09-2011, 10:23 AM
ive been looking through impact attenuator stuff for the past couple hours. This thing seems to be legit. I plan on buying it as soon as i determine what im using for the plate behind it.

It took me forever to find this "standard impact attenuator".. i have no idea why there are no links to it anywhere.

BrendonD
02-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by ESaenz:
Silly question but is there anything against slight overhang? Our front hoop tapers from a 15" width to a 13" width (the approved ia measures 14" width)? I hope we won't have to buy two std ia's just to confirm that removing the slight overhang doesn't hurt it's performance.

I'm not sure what the safety factor is on it, but you'd need to make sure that the decrease in area that the force is distributed over on the front of your bulkhead doesn't cause the deceleration to exceed the limits mandated by the rules. I've never used the stuff so I don't know how it would react to having some of the material hang off, whether it would hold together or just shear past the bulkhead tubes on impact. If you're only talking about a half an inch max there's a high chance it could be OK. Worth an e-mail to the rules committee though, I know you're probably not the only one with that question.

Canuck Racing
02-09-2011, 02:00 PM
I think modifing the IA would be okay as long as you perform the tests required in section B3.21 of the rules and submit data showing your modification still met the rules.

Barky
02-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Canuck Racing:
I think modifing the IA would be okay as long as you perform the tests required in section B3.21 of the rules and submit data showing your modification still met the rules.

That sort of defeats the purpose, though.

Demon Of Speed
02-09-2011, 09:34 PM
The standard IA design is to be tested by Kettering University. They are still awaiting its arrival from Bill Riley to test.

I am predicting a rule change coming soon for testing procedure/setup.

Big Bird
02-10-2011, 05:50 AM
I'll have a stab at the OP's original question. I'd say any marks variation in using a spec IA would depend on the way you answer questions about it.

Judge: Why have you used a spec IA? Can't you design one yourself?

Answer 1: No
Answer 2: Whaddyamean? Its legal isn't it?
Answer 3: But the spec IA is optimized
Answer 4: We did a points benefit analysis of designing and testing our own IA. By using the spec IA we save *** manhours which we invested in testing our ***. The extra mass of the spec IA might penalize us around * points, but we estimate the benefit of the testing program was worth *** points.

Now one of those answers might gain you design points rather than lose them...

I propose that those who design and build their own from now on might get a question like the following:
So why did you build your own IA? You can get a perfectly good one "off the shelf"...

Cheers,

Canuck Racing
02-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Barky:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Canuck Racing:

That sort of defeats the purpose, though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Modifing it does as well.

Do you think I could get away with running the standard attenuator and chopping it down to nothing to save weight and package it better? I still don't have to test it so nobody will know that my non-existant attenuator doesn't work.

Barky
02-13-2011, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by Canuck Racing:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barky:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Canuck Racing:

That sort of defeats the purpose, though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Modifing it does as well.

Do you think I could get away with running the standard attenuator and chopping it down to nothing to save weight and package it better? I still don't have to test it so nobody will know that my non-existant attenuator doesn't work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I suppose I meant modifying it defeats the purpose.

AvinashJagtap
03-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Is any team participating in Formula Student Germany using the Standard Impact Attenuator???

FSG needs an extra block for testing.
They wont trust the purchase on the bill/receipt.

The company says to buy 2 Standard Impact Attenuator.

Spending double... i don't think so its a good idea.

Ravi Kiran Bachu
01-27-2013, 02:57 AM
In the Formula Student Germany, does using the Standard Impact Attenuator result in losing some points?
Do the judges prefer us designing and testing our own IA? Or can we happily go for buying the standard IA? Is there any point benefit in anyway?

JulianH
01-27-2013, 04:44 AM
Ravi, I'd suggest to read Geoff's post from February 2011.

If you say WHY you chose it, then noone will deduct points.

That's basically what I wanted to tell you in the "Teams from India" thread...

moo moo racing
02-08-2014, 12:50 AM
My front bulkhead is designed with the minimum size of 300mm by 300 mm area regarding frame rules.The standard impact attenuator type 12 is 14 inches X 12 inches, which means that the impact attenuator will be larger than the anti intrusion plate(28mm on both sides), which i realized pretty late!!. Do i have any choice other than to make my own impact attenuator or test with the overhanging standard attenuator? (My chassis is almost ready and i cannot make the bulkhead bigger right now)

Marek
04-20-2015, 03:45 PM
I am also looking for answer for this qestion. All in all it need to confirm what I think(it is forbidden that impact extends beyond the edge of front bulkhead). Can anyone confirm that? In rules there is written:

T3.21.6 If a team uses the “standard” FSAE Impact Attenuator, and the outside edge of the Front Bulkhead extends beyond the Impact Attenuator Assembly by more than 25.4 mm on any side, a diagonal or X-brace made from 1.00” x 0.049” wall steel tubing, or an approved equivalent per T3.4, must be included in the Front Bulkhead.

It means that the outside dimension od fornt bulhead must be at least equal to dimension of standard IA? or edge of fornt bulkhead may by smaller but no more than 1 inch?

stever95
04-28-2015, 05:34 PM
Dude, clnanae pu yrur psot ist alamsot aoimsposbel to figure otutu what youre tyrign yo say!

Also, others on this forum will NOT answer your questions until you give us a reason to. Who are you? Where are you from? Why didn't see that this was forum etiquette prior to posting?