PDA

View Full Version : Differential height

Cement Legs
05-31-2005, 10:57 AM
Is there any performance reason why you would want to have your differential concentric with you wheels at neutral ride height? I'm mostly concerned about the effects on tripod joints.

Cement Legs
05-31-2005, 10:57 AM
Is there any performance reason why you would want to have your differential concentric with you wheels at neutral ride height? I'm mostly concerned about the effects on tripod joints.

romkasponka
05-31-2005, 11:19 AM
Just think about friction (=lost some Nm) then it have an angle but better weight position. Then tripod have big missalignment or angle it have more space to fall to pieces or dismantle by it self.It gets bigger axial loads (from bearings psition i think).

I have had the same problem on my car.

p.s. sorry for my english http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Denny Trimble
05-31-2005, 12:29 PM
It's a tradeoff between horsepower losses due to CV angularity, and packaging (wheelbase, CG height, weight distribution, inertias of the car, etc). You'll need to test your CV's to give a good enough answer for the design judges. But from what I've seen and discussed with some fast teams, the power loss is fairly low with tripods and moderate angles.

Cement Legs
05-31-2005, 01:00 PM
Off topic... Hey Denny, where were you during '00, '01, '02? (.....Formula SAE ('98, '99, '03, '04, '05) )

Denny Trimble
05-31-2005, 01:16 PM
'98 - first quarter on the team, went to Detroit and observed; came back and drove/broke/fixed all summer
'99 - team captain / suspension guy / graduated
'00 - '01: worked in Seattle
'01 - '02: worked in Rochester, NY (girlfriend went to RIT)
'02-current: Grad school at UW