PDA

View Full Version : Achieiving adjustable ackermann

TomW
02-12-2005, 07:26 AM
Does anyone have any shots or ideas as to how teams have gone about achieving adjustable ackermann?

I've been thinking about how much to include for a while now but there seems to be so many variables flying around that building an adjustable system and testing it seems the only way to go.

Thanks.

Tom
NRacing

TomW
02-12-2005, 07:26 AM
Does anyone have any shots or ideas as to how teams have gone about achieving adjustable ackermann?

I've been thinking about how much to include for a while now but there seems to be so many variables flying around that building an adjustable system and testing it seems the only way to go.

Thanks.

Tom
NRacing

Denny Trimble
02-12-2005, 09:37 AM
You can make steering arms with different tierod point offsets, and tierods to match. Another benefit of the top/front steer layout, with separate steering arm for camber adjustment.

Example:
http://students.washington.edu/dennyt/fsae/dsnrprt-images/pages/iso-rear%20small.html

jonnycowboy
02-12-2005, 09:46 AM
wow that's some impressive CAD drawing!
What software? Solidworks? Pro-E? Is there a module for spring-making (as there is in Solid Edge?)
Thanks

Denny Trimble
02-12-2005, 11:21 AM
Thanks!
SolidWorks + Photoshop Overlays (shaded & HLR views)
Draw a helix or three (for closed ends), sweep, trim the ends, and you're done.

adrial
02-12-2005, 02:24 PM
I think swappable steer arms is the best way to do it.

It is possible to do it other ways, but I think this is the best/easiest way to do it in terms of adjustment because the change in location of the steer point is so small for significant changes in ackerman.