PDA

View Full Version : compromise btween camber change and ride height

vitesse
10-05-2007, 08:23 AM
i want to know whether change in camber can b compromised with the ride height.
for example presently i m working on ride height 120mm, now as i reduces the ride height there is increase in camber change in 2 deg roll and 2deg steer.I want to keep ride height 80mm.But it results in increase in camber change. Is it justify to compromise on camber change?

vitesse
10-05-2007, 08:23 AM
i want to know whether change in camber can b compromised with the ride height.
for example presently i m working on ride height 120mm, now as i reduces the ride height there is increase in camber change in 2 deg roll and 2deg steer.I want to keep ride height 80mm.But it results in increase in camber change. Is it justify to compromise on camber change?

Christopher Catto
10-05-2007, 10:17 AM
since you are not running an aero car (read, you are not in F1 or LMP) then yes I would say your camber change is very important and your ride height is dictated by how low you can run the car without say scraping the sump on the rear under acceleration or the front nose under braking (you can avoid this with antidive and anti squat or with some extra spring-dampers).

you should really post some screenshots, a graph or a pic of a table to show in a bit more detail how the camber gain changes. guys from different unis can then give you their own opinion depending on their design phylosophy. Some favour high camber gain, some not so much depending also on how bumby the track is.

set your ride height to where you can realistically live with it. you know your suspension moves in bump say 50 mm before the bump stops and say 60 mm in droop. you can calculate roughly how much the ride heights are at front and rear if the car pitches forward under braking or rearward.

your camber gain will also be a compromise as to where you can place your pickup points. a low nose allows some geometries, a high nose some others. on a spaceframe some teams place the points on the longitudinal rails of the frame, on a carbon tub you may make a bulkhead to stiffen the local area where the pickup points are.