PDA

View Full Version : Engine Manufacturing / Machining Processes References

murpia
12-19-2005, 06:27 AM
Can anyone point me to useful online references for Engine Manufacturing / Machining Processes?

In particular I'm keen to understand the fixtures used and the setting up of a machine tool to perform any of the following ops:

Cylinder head skimming
Machining a head for bigger valves
Block overboring / offset boring
Offset crank grinding & con-rod sleeving
Line boring crank or cam bearings

Or any books, SAE papers etc. Doesn't need to be FSAE specific.
Thanks, Ian

murpia
12-19-2005, 06:27 AM
Can anyone point me to useful online references for Engine Manufacturing / Machining Processes?

In particular I'm keen to understand the fixtures used and the setting up of a machine tool to perform any of the following ops:

Cylinder head skimming
Machining a head for bigger valves
Block overboring / offset boring
Offset crank grinding & con-rod sleeving
Line boring crank or cam bearings

Or any books, SAE papers etc. Doesn't need to be FSAE specific.
Thanks, Ian

Jersey Tom
12-19-2005, 09:27 AM
Why do you ask? Is this out of pure curiosity, or are you thinking of remachining your engine?

If the latter, you had better have a damn good machinist who already knows all about fixturing and how to set these up. Machining engines is serious stuff. If that engine fails while you're driving it can be really bad news. Personally I've never bothered to remachine engine components, though I've thought about doing it.

A process is a process. Boring a hole is boring a hole.. cylindrical grinding is cylindrical grinding. So it becomes a question of how to fixture your part rigidly and locate key geometry accurately. And that's really an experience thing rather than somethin you get out of a book. Every part and every setup is different. I couldn't tell you how to set these things up without taking a good look at them. Might be able to do a block in a 4 axis or a mill/turn center. Might have to do it manually on a sine plate.

What I do know is you'll need a GOOD, rigid machine, GOOD tools, and a GOOD operator to get it done. Machine tool with well under .001 TIR at the spindle, ballscrews or backlash eliminator, boring head you can dial to .0001", .0005" or .0001" test indicator.. and your workpiece has gotta be locked down rock solid. Dirt is the #1 killer in machining, with vibration being a very very close second.

For stuff like this its the setup and dimension checking which take all the time. For our aerospace Structural Dynamics & Controls lab, they were making some big structure with some big parts made of solid blocks of super Invar. Lot of linear tolerances to .001" or less, and angular tolerances of .05 degrees or less. Didn't have spare material, couldn't screw up. Would take the better part of a day to set up some of the larger pieces.

Remachining engine parts is very doable. Just gotta have a guy who really knows what they're doing, lot of experience with tricky setups..and good equipment. Which is hard to come by in student shops

markocosic
12-19-2005, 02:29 PM
I've found Richard and Frida immensely helpful in the past with most queries (provided they're not busy), and they're widely regarded as the best of the best as far as reconditioned/remanufactured engines in the LR market goes (people are happy to pay more for 'em than factory new engines because they're that bit better finished). Website gives a quick picture by picture overview too (maybe google the machine brands/models for more info)

http://www.turner-engineering.co.uk/

I've skimmed alloy heads myself in the past and standard production engines seem pretty tolerant of nothing too special by way of tolerances. (I just use a lump of square bar stock with a hole in, a stud/t-nut and a block the same height as any convenient lug on the head to clamp it to the base, a fly cutter set to a reasonably high tip speed with slow feed and aimed for about +/-0.001" of flat. Throw on a decent headgasket and the pistons let go long before the headgasket on the engines I've messed with (Rover T-Series) http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif )

PPAM20
12-19-2005, 03:34 PM
A reference I use is Sunnen's Complete Cylinder Head and Engine Rebuilding Handbook. Covers may items thoroughly - not sure if it covers offset boring. Available from local Sunnen guys.

Jersey Tom
12-19-2005, 05:36 PM
I'm jealous of that Turner Engineering shop.

DaveC
12-23-2005, 08:34 PM
I'm sure most of your local engine shops would be happy to have you over to check it out. If you can find one with a spin-balance machine, crank turning/polishing equipment, and a block trueing jig that place will probably have it all. It looks like a lot of the machines and equipment they use are specially made for auto engine work.

S A N
07-05-2011, 01:31 AM
hello

would like to know if any team has done engine boring to increase its displacement.. may be like a 500 to 550 or 450 to 550..??

Drew Price
07-05-2011, 12:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by S A N:
would like to know if any team has done engine boring to increase its displacement.. may be like a 500 to 550 or 450 to 550..?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes.

S A N
07-06-2011, 09:37 PM
so have you done on your Lt 450? one has to change the piston, rod & redesign the system. would it not be more easier to use the stock engine itself.. or of higher CC though it is appreciable using high performance components..

basically is tat allowed? well am new here.. so i guess you might have an advantage in the design part..

thanks

Drew Price
07-07-2011, 01:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by S A N:

basically is tat allowed? well am new here.. so i guess you might have an advantage in the design part.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it's allowed. It's all outlined in the rules for the competition.