PDA

View Full Version : speed coverage of Detroit?

fsae racer
09-23-2004, 01:02 AM
I dont know about you guys, but I cannot understand why Speed does not cover and usually has one program that mentions FSAE for about 5 mins. I have email wind tunnel a few times as well with absolutely no response. Personally, I think FSAE coverage would get at least decent viewing numbers, and I know it wouldn't hurt our hunt for sponsor money. If anyone else feels the same let me know, as I trying to coordinate a mass emailing of Speed to get some airtime. If we all bug them, they can't ignore all of us.

Sam Zimmerman
09-23-2004, 02:46 AM
I would love it if a cable channel picked up the event, I just don't see it happening. It seems that people who are not directly involved in this event aren't that interested in our "go-karts." How many times have you had a typical Speed Channel watcher tell you, "Oh yeah. My son and I built one of those last summer." (Or something to that effect.)

It would be great if it could happen, though.

Didier Beaudoin
09-23-2004, 05:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sam Zimmerman:
I would love it if a cable channel picked up the event, I just don't see it happening. It seems that people who are not directly involved in this event aren't that interested in our "go-karts." How many times have you had a typical Speed Channel watcher tell you, "Oh yeah. My son and I built one of those last summer." (Or something to that effect.)

It would be great if it could happen, though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I beleive people have this kind of reations because they don't know what we're doing. Therefore, I think an event coevrage where they would explain exactly what Formula SAE is would only help.

But I understand you, I was once asked "Is it not a bit heavy to fly?"(don't worry ma'am, we'll put two big turbofans and it'll fly allright), "Oh, this is the school's Mini-Baja?" (by the program directorhttp://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif) and many things like it. Frustrating.

Angry Joe
09-23-2004, 09:54 AM
If you changed the name to Mini-Nascar, chances would improve significantly. Until then, you can probably forget it.

MikeWaggoner at UW
09-24-2004, 08:58 AM
I think a big reason it's not televised is because the racing isn't much fun to watch. I don't think there's a way to keep it safe while making it more viewer friendly.